• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon Pro Vega II vs. Radeon VII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

According to Techpowerup the Radeon VII is 10% faster than the Radeon Pro Vega II, but how is this possible? The Radeon Pro Vega II has:

4096 shading units vs. 3840 for the Radeon VII;
256 TMU's vs. 240 TMU's;
64 CU's vs. 60 CU's.

The memory bandwidth for the Radeon Pro Vega II is slightly less at 825 MiB/s vs. 1024 MiB/s for the Radeon VII.

Interesting question. What are the clock speeds? Also, any archatectual changes can boost speed.

Edit:
I got to looking a bit more because... it's an interesting question.
I'd say that the Radeon Pro is built for CAD. CAD cards are designed for more acurate computations whereas the VII is built for speed and will allow if some computations are "off". I'd guess that this answers the question.

Interesting question. What are the clock speeds? Also, any archatectual changes can boost speed.

Edit:
I got to looking a bit more because... it's an interesting question.
I'd say that the Radeon Pro is built for CAD. CAD cards are designed for more acurate computations whereas the VII is built for speed and will allow if some computations are "off". I'd guess that this answers the question.

The maximum clock speed of the Radeon VII is 1802Mhz. which is 80Mhz. more than the Radeon Pro Vega II, a 5% difference. The memory bandwidth difference is 24%, although it's hard to imagine that making any difference considering the Radeon Pro Vega II already has 825 GiB/s of memory bandwidth. How could that be a limitation?

The maximum clock speed of the Radeon VII is 1802Mhz. which is 80Mhz. more than the Radeon Pro Vega II, a 5% difference. The memory bandwidth difference is 24%, although it's hard to imagine that making any difference considering the Radeon Pro Vega II already has 825 GiB/s of memory bandwidth. How could that be a limitation?

The issue is less to do with hardware than how the hardware is meant to be used. CAD cards cost a ton because they are certified to run CAD. CAD = Computer Aided Design. The drivers (as ED pointed out) put emphasis on CAD presision and not speed as gaming cards will do.

Back