• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAD450r

I just purchased an xspc raystorm rx360 d5 pump dual bay res kit. im currently only going to have a single 780 evga superclocked for the matching videocard block but will get a second next winter. My ? is since I wont have to do too much to just drain and add a second vid card i'd like to add the second rad now while im still buying parts to pipe it up with fill and drain ports in a 900d.

I been trying to find a rx480 in stock to match my kit, hard to find and is very expensive. i see many tell me just to pickup a ex480 [79$] since they half the price, will that be enough or should I just stick to my guns and wait out finding a better deal on the rx480 so both my rad's match.

I also plan to eventually change all the fans on the the rads to corsair SP120 quiet editions. I wanted gentle typhoons but they are nowhere to be found for under 24$ each. for 2$ more i get a pair of corsairs. Will these work as well ?

Matching radiators is just for looks if that concerns you. Different slim radiators will work better at different fan speeds so if you have a noise target in mind you can choose accordingly. For example a swiftech xp rad loses to a swiftech quiet power rad which loses to an xspc rx rad at 600rpm. But the swiftech xp and xspc rx are almost dead even with gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans, leaving the swiftech qp a solid 10% behind.

Matching radiators is just for looks if that concerns you. Different slim radiators will work better at different fan speeds so if you have a noise target in mind you can choose accordingly. For example a swiftech xp rad loses to a swiftech quiet power rad which loses to an xspc rx rad at 600rpm. But the swiftech xp and xspc rx are almost dead even with gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans, leaving the swiftech qp a solid 10% behind.

That being said i am going for as quiet as i can. So that in mind. I do want to stick with xspc, so u think the thiner ex will be ok? since i trying to decide between the ex and rx. should i stick with rx to keep it quiet. I had read that 1000rpm would be quieter with the stock xspc fans, i will change them but not right away. Thanks gor ur rrply

if you've got enough room for a 360+480 you might as well bolt a MO-RA to the side of the case ... that'll be silent :)

Since its going to be several months to almost a year before you add the second block, you are then due for a drain/clean anyways. So, at that point you might just as well drain completely, add the second rad and get "new" tubing and re-design the loop routing. So, there are no real "savings" to include the 2nd rad now already, except for running cooler & more silent NOW.

Thanks for reply im really thinking of, just i want a drain so i have to pipe the bottom, in the corsair 900d i have many many options for rad size and locations

Last edited:
Fans

Im torn between going corsair sp120 quiet edition or yate loon fans what do you guys feel would be better for my rad fans. For now the rx360 has the xspc fans but everywhere I read they are noisy. im still getting parts so I not even tested them yet.

They seem to be about the same price from newegg, but the yates are few db's louder according to specs but they not say how well they are designed for using against radiator.

I did like the yates blue led version since all my blocks and resivour will have blue leds in them. If I go sp120 quiet editions i'll be using the blue rings but will only see them on the bottom rad.

So my biggest question is will the yates perform as well and be alot louder I do want as quiet as I can get this pc since im taking my time picking all these parts out. Im still currently running and gaming on my core2quad extreme so im in no real hurry to finish. I just want to only do this once. Not like in past I've tried like 4 - 5 fans for all my 80mm locations before I found the most cfm I could get and putting it on controller to get it reasonably quieter so not to sound like damn hair dryer next to pc with 4x80mm fans

Can u send me a link to them?
If is allowed here. If is not allowed u can pm me i hope. Non pwm version i preffer

EDIT: Still haven't found a link to these fans to see price and static pressure. I wont be going pwn I read many stories of hard time getting them all setup and running right. these 3 pin ones will be fine now that I ordered my controller as u can see in my next post.

Last edited:
bought my fan controller

Anyone ever use this fan controller. It says its 30 watts per channel so I plan to run 4 bottom rad fans on 1 channel I hope this will be ok. I also plan to run the front 3 intakes on the second channel and the top rads 3 fans on the 4th channel. The 3rd channel i'll either run the single fan off back of case on or I may put that one right on motherboard Not sure yet.

Hope is ok to post link from ebay for those to see specs. I'll post a pic as well since I saved that to pc here. Is blue to match all my blue leds that came with the xspc kit and my xspc 780 water block. Going to be running the 7 xspc fans that are stock 1650rpm and the 4 corsair 900d stock fans for now. In future I may change them. I had planned to run all corsair sp120 quiet editions but I read the xspc will have better static pressure at about 7db louder at full tilt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171242673572

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!pwF!MDFKZWnBQNeyvj7RQ~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!pwF!MDFKZWnBQNeyvj7RQ~~60_57.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 138
silent? the mo-ra posted earlier, I game with my 8 core over 5.0 and can run the big sucker for hours passive and then only have to run 1 of the 180 fans on 7 volts after that.

also recieved my graphics card

So my brother got to keep my Gigabyte overclocked 780 with windforce cooler but I got the card I know will work with my waterblock. I just need to wait for a power supply so I can test this card before I install my water block

Attachments

• ex-blc-1592.jpg
    ex-blc-1592.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 116
  • ex-blc-1432.jpg
    ex-blc-1432.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20140411_165112.jpg
    20140411_165112.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 117
rads

silent? the mo-ra posted earlier, I game with my 8 core over 5.0 and can run the big sucker for hours passive and then only have to run 1 of the 180 fans on 7 volts after that.

I already have the xspc rx rad and I read its very quiet if I knock the fans down so hope this will be quiet enough not to start over buying more parts. But thanks for the reply. I appreciate everyone's suggestions alot since this is my first real water cooled build. Yes I had a toy everycool 201 years back and I setup dads h100, but thats nothing like this setup :)

also for the mo-ra you mentioned I cant hide it inside my huge case as i can the 480 and 360 rads. my case is the corsair 900d can fit more rads if needed later :)

EDIT: the white tower you see is my old inwin q500b. I have 3 of these. One has my server in it with 12 HD's so its not small by any means but you see I could put it inside the 900d. quad rad will be in the bottom and I already mounted the 360 in the roof.

Attachments

• 20140414_163043.jpg
    20140414_163043.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20140414_163033.jpg
    20140414_163033.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20140411_182823.jpg
    20140411_182823.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Can u send me a link to them?
If is allowed here. If is not allowed u can pm me i hope. Non pwm version i preffer

EDIT: Still haven't found a link to these fans to see price and static pressure. I wont be going pwn I read many stories of hard time getting them all setup and running right. these 3 pin ones will be fine now that I ordered my controller as u can see in my next post.

Noiseblocker: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_in...12-4-Bionic-fan-2400rpm---120x120x25mm--.html

Phobya 4-pack: http://www.aquatuning.de/product_in...nic-L-fter-4-Fach-Bundle--4xL-fterpaket-.html

Well received my power supply and my fan controller so far. Didn't mount the power supply cause im using it to test the videocard in y other gamer. ANd yes this gtw 780 does in deed work on that pc. My brother has my gigabyte card which crashes on this gigabyte motherboard I tried it on months back. Now that I tried this new card at stock speeds I had to overclock it even though is still on air cooling. My gigabyte card is much faster as in 3 fps on the same game with same settings must be why it drew more ower causing the crashes

both cards are stable now but the gigabyte card will not run on the gigabyte motherboard which does not make sence to me. now that I overclocked the evga card I just purchased its close to the performace but still slightly lower performing than the gigabyte. I hope once I put the evga on water I can push it harder to get equal to or slightly above performance.

Oh and the gigabyte card is only running at its stock out of the box overclock. Never even wanted to tweak that one.

Back