• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiators etc for Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Will3ist

Registered
I will be doing my first ever watercooled build soon and need help choosing radiators, pump, reservoir and fans for the build

Components that will be included in the loop are the following:
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
AMD FX-9590 (220watt TDP)
Asus Radeon R9 390X DCII (~300watt TDP, and there will be two of these cards)
EKWB blocks on all.

The chassi i want to build in is the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition.

I have absolutely no idea what radiators etc i need too cool this but i have tried finding 1x 140mm rad (rear), 1x 280mm rad (front) and 1x 360mm rad (top)

I have looked at EKWBs XTX rads, but they seem to be discontinued.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My suggestion, look at the 900D instead of the 750D.
You're looking at approximately 9.120 worth of radiator for this system.

My suggestion, look at the 900D instead of the 750D.
You're looking at approximately 9.120 worth of radiator for this system.

I have looked at the 900D but sadly i hate it :/ it would have been an awesome case if they would have made it just abit taller and put the PSU below the motherboard and had the lower chamber fully available for rads, but the way it is now you cant get two quad rads in there :/

In a 750D it'll work out like this:

Using the top for a 360, you'll lose a drivebay or possibly both if your rad is thick.
Using a 280 in the front, you lose all the HDD bays. Plan on using SSD's if you go this route.
Not enough space for the raddage you need to expell that heatload.

For all that raddage, you're going to need a larger, more compatible case like the NZXT switch 810 or the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or the Primo.

I have looked at the 900D but sadly i hate it :/ it would have been an awesome case if they would have made it just abit taller and put the PSU below the motherboard and had the lower chamber fully available for rads, but the way it is now you cant get two quad rads in there :/

You sure about that? It's the biggest case when it comes to non custom cases. You can fit your child inside. I'm using 120.9 of heat surface atm and she is silently purring along.

Thick rads and thin rads vs FPI vs fans vs noise. First you need to make it fit. Then you need to look at fans. Thick rads allow less air to flow through. Might need louder (higher FPM fans), RPM and quality of pressure rating on the fans is the key. FPI matters too, higher FPI means more fannage.

It's not a science. It's psuedo science. You read, research, and hope all the money you spend is correct.

Seen folks buy a thick rad for the top of the case, it't won't fit due to the mobo stuff being in the way, even with NO fans.

Seen folks buy a thin rad with 30+ FPI and realize to get airflow through it they need 2000+ RPM fans. And to keep the noise down they go push/pull lower RPM and find out that won't fit in the case....

It's up to you.

FPI? Important rad characteristic.

But, yea, I think 7.120 can work. You're not looking for every C or Mhz, you want a great rig.

Last edited:
Lastly drop the AMD CPU. You know Intel is better and easier to deal with....
lolz, sorry but was just researching this case and cant help myself with this post, but really dude was your last post really needed, I mean really, for all intents and purposes for the OP's questions why tell hm this?

Sorry dont expect an answer just lolz.

back to researching .....

For all that raddage, you're going to need a larger, more compatible case like the NZXT switch 810 or the Phanteks Enthoo Pro or the Primo.

Last edited:
It is in a way. Switching to Intel would reduce the TDP load on his water cooling which will lower his radiator requirements. Plus it's best to consider this BEFORE he buys. Everyone knows the struggles of cooling an FX 9590. If you don't then you need to read more here. There are pages and pages dedicated to just that. :)

EDIT:

I finally snipered GTX lol :snipe:

Ye, buts its not relevant to what the OP was asking, hence the lolz

In all fairness, its easier to OC a intel than it is a AMD AFAIK because of the heat that the AMDs pull out vs. a intel. Its up to the OP on what he wants to do. Don't take it personal because you have an AMD.

Edit: Looks like we both responded at the same time Blaylock. +1 on your statement all around. :thup:

With all due respect to AMD users, I hope they succeed as well because without AMD, us Intel guys are in trouble, financially and slows down innovation.

It is in a way. Switching to Intel would reduce the TDP load on his water cooling which will lower his radiator requirements. Plus it's best to consider this BEFORE he buys. Everyone knows the struggles of cooling an FX 9590 snip.......
Soz, I sort of understood that he already has the AMD CPU and that the watercooling part was the new build.

If everything is a new build then yeah would make more sense to go with Intel

:)

Unsure if I should start my own thread, but will post here as may be relevant to the OP, if the OP does not want me to post this let me know and will remove.

1/ Regards fitting a 120.3 on the top in push/pull config, from what I have read this is not possible, also read that even in one way config there can be issues. My question is firstly, how restrictive is the top metal mesh as from the pics it looks very restrictive. Considering it is restrictive, how is this mesh panel attached to the case. My first thought would be to remove this mesh panel, and replace wth a custom panel that allows fans to be installed on the top i.e. outside the case (pull) with the fans on the bottom (push) i.e. inside the case.

Thats how I modded my current case.

Wondering also about mounting the reservoir inside the case, have not seen anyone with a EK-Multioption Advanced Res 400 inside this case .....

-- EDIT --

Soz, disreguard the modding top panel part, just scrolled through a few more pictures on the corsair website and it seems that the top mesh is removable leaving the panel alot less restrictive with the possibility of mounting exterior fans .....

Last edited:
If we're critiquing the build, I would add that OP should buy a single 980ti rather than (2) 390x cards. Will drop the cooling requirements significantly, cost less, and probably offer greater performance in the majority of games compared to a crossfire setup.

I have one of the 390Xs allready, together with an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE which is bottlenecking pretty bad.

I will never buy either Intel or Nvidia because of what GTXJackBauer noted, if everyone switches over to Intel, AMD will go under and Intel prices will skyrocket since they will have monopoly, i have had almost exclusively AMD for the last 18years, with one exception being a laptop with intel/nvidia and that is the only computer i have had that has given up.

AMD have been on the top and could be again, IF not everyone abandons the brand.

Anyway back to the topic.
What about two Alphacool neXXXos Monsta? One 420 and one 280.

Ive just bought the case and was also wondering about putting a neXXXos 280 Monsta on the front and replacing the default fans with 2 x Noiseblocker NB-ELOOP Fan B14-PS.

Then put the PA120.3 I have on the top in just a push config.

Considering you dont have your rads yet and from what I have read it seem the general consenus is if you want to add a rad to the top of the case that the total height of rad+fans should not exceed 80mm. After that you are dependant on motherboard type with regards to how much space you have from top of motherboard to rad.

Back