• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

Folding User StatsI've never set up a RAID array before today, so I'm not too sure what to do. I did consult the motherboard manual and followed the instructions as best as I could.

My OS is on an M.2 SSD, and I installed the OS on this a while ago. Today I added 2 WD Black 1TB drives just for storage (both identical model, no bad sectors). The motherboard is a Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 with the latest F5 EUFI. No matter what I do, if I change a disk to "Enabled" (see pic), then the other drive gets grayed out, so I can only "enable" 1 drive at a time. As soon as I've saved the settings and exit the EUFI, it reverts back to "disabled". I don't see the array under Windows disk management.

I have installed the Gigabyte chipset drivers which comes with the RAID driver.

IMG_20170720_065249.jpg

IMG_20170720_065308.jpg

IMG_20170818_193222.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20170818_193306.jpg

IMG_20170818_193357.jpg

IMG_20170818_193418.jpg

IMG_20170818_193518.jpg

Now I don't pretend to know your motherboard but I can share my experiences with RAID0 using NVME drives. Intel RST did not like enabling cache flushing and writeback together and it popped a smart event when I went on battery power. I've since changed it to read only (2nd to last screenshot) What does it show on disk properties and have you set the HDD mode from AHCI to RAID? Second in the case of my AW13R3 it had to be in UEFI enabled *and* Secure Boot Enabled otherwise the RAID wouldn't stick. Normally on desktop PCs there is a separate RAID menu that you go past the BIOS.

SATA Mode Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Chipset or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controller. AHCI Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug. (Default)
\

Move the drives to the ASATA ports, the fact that only those two support NCQ suggests those are the ones you want. I assume the A stands for "Advanced"

Now I don't pretend to know your motherboard but I can share my experiences with RAID0 using NVME drives. Intel RST did not like enabling cache flushing and writeback together and it popped a smart event when I went on battery power. I've since changed it to read only (2nd to last screenshot) What does it show on disk properties and have you set the HDD mode from AHCI to RAID? Second in the case of my AW13R3 it had to be in UEFI enabled *and* Secure Boot Enabled otherwise the RAID wouldn't stick. Normally on desktop PCs there is a separate RAID menu that you go past the BIOS.

Hes not using nvme drives...

I did set the HDD mode from AHCI to RAID. I enabled Secure Boot and it didn't change anything. The separate RAID menu that's past the UEFI is mentioned in the manual, but only for legacy RAID and not EUFI RAID.

\

Move the drives to the ASATA ports, the fact that only those two support NCQ suggests those are the ones you want. I assume the A stands for "Advanced"

The ASATA ports are automatically disabled on this motherboard when using an nVME SSD.

Hes not using nvme drives...

Correct, there are no nVME drives in the array. I'm using a M.2 nVME drive as the boot drive but this is NOT part of the array. The array only has 2 SATA HDDs.

I dunno I haven't had an AMD setup in eons, so I'm not sure if this will work the same as intel. You have to press "CTRL + I" keys to get into into the RAID option of the board while booting. Then in there you create what type of array along with setting up the drives. This is how I setup Raid-0 with my setup with 2x WD Red NAS 3TB drives and using my NVMe as boot/os :D

Since you're just using the 2 WD Black 1TB drives for storage, just set the NVMe drive as first boot device.

since they are not the op sys drive just raid them thru windows. I did some testing way back and windows raid was a tad better overall than bios raid.

Back