• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for 8120 Asus MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fsnow

Any suggestions for DDR# ram. Have a Asus Sabertooth 990 and a 8120. Planning to put on a Noctua NH14D cooler(which I THINK should clear most RAM) and try to OC into 3.9-4.2 area.
It would be nice to be ready for the next era of CPU and RAM but I'm open. How much do I need? I was kind leaning toward the Samsung 2 X 4 1600DDR green RAM cause of it's ability to be pushed a bit but I guess I should stick to Gskill because it's their forum and I can also move up a bit on total RAM?
Any suggestions on amount or total? Again, I'd like to kinda be able to kinda move into the future a little?
Thanks for your consideration! Please be nice this is my first post and I am turning 65 next month. Time for the younger generation! My first OC was a Pentium from 150mgtz to 187 with dolphin case fans, etc. Since then bought prepackaged systems. Nice and easy. Finally tired of limited options!
I'll likely cross post on GSkill forum but I will try to refrain from excessive bumping, etc.
See any glaring weakness in the build below?

Build:
RAM:??? amount???
CPU: 8120FX purchased(with Noctua NH-14D cooler?)
MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX purchased(bought just in time to miss REV.2 methinks):facepalm:
Graphics: 6870AMD single purchased(might do a crossfire or move up to 6950)
PS: Cooler Master RS 700 watt purchased (may need more if I crossfire and 8120?)
Case: Cooler Master Scout Mid purchased
SSD: Samsung 256 830 purchased
HDD: WD SATA 3 2TB purchased
DVD: Asus SATA purchased
OS: Windows 8 Beta (the stock interface sucks big time!)

Any low profile ram will be fine but for AMD something like this seems optimal:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXOB
You can get them in 2 versions orange+blue and red+green leds :D ( can be also 1600 8-8-8 version that is cheaper and just oc it @1866 ).
Now why this ram for AMD ? ... this platform is working optimal at about 1866 clock and low timings ... and this memory can run @1866 8-8-8-24 1.50-1.55V ( so count on about stock voltage )
It's not cheapest memory but that's one of options.
My brother is now running FX8120+ASUS CHV and Crucial Elite 1600@1866 8-8-8-24 1.50V ( the same chips inside but tall heatspreader and no leds ).

Cheaper can be Samsung that you already mentioned but don't count on tight timings ( not like it will make any big difference ).
8GB is fine for almost everything ( like gaming etc ).

Any low profile ram will be fine but for AMD something like this seems optimal:
http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT2TXOB
You can get them in 2 versions orange+blue and red+green leds :D ( can be also 1600 8-8-8 version that is cheaper and just oc it @1866 ).
Now why this ram for AMD ? ... this platform is working optimal at about 1866 clock and low timings ... and this memory can run @1866 8-8-8-24 1.50-1.55V ( so count on about stock voltage )
It's not cheapest memory but that's one of options.
My brother is now running FX8120+ASUS CHV and Crucial Elite 1600@1866 8-8-8-24 1.50V ( the same chips inside but tall heatspreader and no leds ).

Cheaper can be Samsung that you already mentioned but don't count on tight timings ( not like it will make any big difference ).
8GB is fine for almost everything ( like gaming etc ).

Thanks Woomack! Got the XMAS lights RAM coming in!

I'd have a look at G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 or if they won't fit under the Noctua (nice cooler btw) then I'd look at G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 of course the Samsungs are nice too, and are usually capable of 9-10-10 or better at 1866.
Thank You Psykoikonov, but I ordered the lighted RAM Woomack suggested right after he posted. Always wanted a low-rider computer!:shrug:

Here is my thread with Crucial Elite tests. IC should be the same as in Tracer Tactical and some other Crucial series so you can check my settings. There are similar results in threads on other forums.
This memory is actually working better on AMD than on Intel :)
Also if you will have any issues with this memory ( I have hope that not ) then Crucial provides one of best supports that I saw.
I have hope that you will be satisfied :thup:

Back