• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram overclocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I could barely get past 3600 MHz on anything setting than performance. When I set it to performance I could hit 3866 MHz with no issues (17-18-18) but the voltage was too close to 1.55v so I backed it down to 3733 MHz @15-16-16 and it's been solid there ever since.

edit: I learned a lot OC'ing my RAM. I'm far from a memory guru (That would be Woomack), but my thread is here https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/787371-3866-MHz-Too-much-is-enough and everything is pretty well documented for my Gigabyte/Z170 Gaming 7 set up.

Based on that mobo's manual, the 'installing memory' section, seems there is no slot preference for 2 stick-configs. Which describes a T-topology, so should expect to reach highest memory speeds when using 4 stick.

Based on that mobo's manual, the 'installing memory' section, seems there is no slot preference for 2 stick-configs. Which describes a T-topology, so should expect to reach highest memory speeds when using 4 stick.
I highly doubt it.
What you are saying contradicts all previous ram clocking reasoning.

I highly doubt it.
What you are saying contradicts all previous ram clocking reasoning.

I've mostly looked at recent z370/390 motherboards and their memory QVL. Z370/390 boards from Gigabyte and Asus that have four dimm slots show the "no slot preference for 2 stick-configs" as well as having memory QVL for 4 stick-configs of higher speed bins. Those are usual indications that they use T-topology memory layout.

Also, in rog forums the staff have pointed out 4 stick-configs clock highest in some posts.

We can know for sure if Alaric tests his board with 4x8gb. 4x16gb would be the overkill load and we adjust expectations so.

I pulled the 3600mhz kit out of my Ryzen build finally to verify my ram issues. Set the board to Enhanced Performance and at 1.35v my ram runs 3600/c17 without issue. Ran 4 loops of all 13 memtest tests without error. Since I could never get better than 3200/c16 stable on Ryzen with this kit, I think I'll just keep this kit in my z270 build and get a nice set of 3200/c16 ram for Ryzen (and maybe a new x370 board while I'm at it, my cheapo b350 gets a tad warm while overclocking)

Back