• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE RAM Prices to Remain High

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shame, but smart business move to stay alive.

They may be making LESS, but at least they're still making them.

I suppose this is destined to continue with the rise of mobile devices... Personally, I am underwhelmed by tablets (my phone can do everything a tablet can do, and make calls lol) and have no idea why the average idiot I mean consumer likes them so much.

Nobody on this site is an average consumer. I find computer techies (hobbyists, whatever you call yourself) to be extremely well researched and one of the smartest classes of consumer.

@ Culb
I have an "old" TF101-32gb, 10inch Asus tablet, and i really like it. Yes my android phone can do pretty much anything my tablet too can do but i prefer to have a nice 10inch device on hand when im on my couch, listening to TV or movies. My TF-101 also have the docking keaboard so this tablet also act as my kind of laptop. I'm also in the process of finding a 7inch tablet for the wife, she have an iphone 4S and an ipad mini could do it for her but i not an apple fan, in fact i dont like apple .... i will try to switch her to android with a Nexus7.

I suppose this is destined to continue with the rise of mobile devices... Personally, I am underwhelmed by tablets (my phone can do everything a tablet can do, and make calls lol) and have no idea why the average idiot I mean consumer likes them so much.

Frankly, because they're easier to read, at least that's why I like ours. When I'm at home, I find it can replace my laptop for the vast majority of my time that's not spent at an actual computer. Plus I got it open-box for a ridiculously cheap price, which always helps.

Anyway, sad about DRAM prices. It was very nice to have such cheap RAM while it lasted though!

The Surface that can run legacy desktop apps is the only impressive tablet to me, and even then you minus well just buy a laptop if your gonna spend $1000 on a computing device.

But yeah, cheap ones are nice, that isn't really what I was referring to, I mean the whole "My $600+ iPad can do everything a computer can do so why do I need a computer anymore?" I hear that all of the time and it really grinds my gears. What I was saying is that nobody (I hope) here would say/think that.

You can't run Cinema 4D to model characters for a film on a tablet =P

Why is it that every single time I'm planning an upgrade prices are right up there with no hope of going down? :bang head

@ Culb
I have an "old" TF101-32gb, 10inch Asus tablet, and i really like it. Yes my android phone can do pretty much anything my tablet too can do but i prefer to have a nice 10inch device on hand when im on my couch, listening to TV or movies. My TF-101 also have the docking keaboard so this tablet also act as my kind of laptop. I'm also in the process of finding a 7inch tablet for the wife, she have an iphone 4S and an ipad mini could do it for her but i not an apple fan, in fact i dont like apple .... i will try to switch her to android with a Nexus7.

i have a nexus 7 myself and really like it, seems a good solid product

Bah humbug, somehow the prices are going too high.
2X4 GB starting at $65 in most cases?
2X2 GB 1600 over $40?
And yes I've done better. But still.

Sale prices can still be pretty good. 16gb of crucial 1600 was 76.50 the other day at the egg, i snagged 16gb of geil 1866 9-10-10 for 87 about a month ago. Its just not worth buying if it isnt on sale these days.

I'm glad I already bought ram in January, that will last me until I get something which handles DDR4. It also upsets me how cheap I let my friend have my old ram for but now I know why the other 8gb made so much on ebay! Only £2 off what I paid 3 years earlier!

I always keep buying things just before they take a massive price hike, like that time I bought a 1TB HDD for £40 and about a month later they were £100+, I wish I bought a few dozen of them I could of paid for my build! Ahhhh hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Hopefully something changes within the next few months, for my sake :(

I have been looking at prices and I was just going to get a 8GB of 1600 but now the 8GB 2133 and 2400 are the same price on Newegg? Roughly, 79$. I'd be a fool not to go with the faster RAM...

I never have used more than 8GB on a rig before and I was wondering why everyone had so much more, is it just so you can RAM disk?

Hopefully something changes within the next few months, for my sake :(

I have been looking at prices and I was just going to get a 8GB of 1600 but now the 8GB 2133 and 2400 are the same price on Newegg? Roughly, 79$. I'd be a fool not to go with the faster RAM...

I never have used more than 8GB on a rig before and I was wondering why everyone had so much more, is it just so you can RAM disk?

For me, it was mostly for virtual machines. Needed one for classes and then kept a linux VM on hand just to poke around in, sometimes I'd have them both open at once. 16GB means 4GB for each VM while leaving 8GB for the host OS.

Plus, got this kit on sale for $75ish, which these days is pretty decent for a 16gb set at 1600mhz stock.

It's still cheap as hell compared to the older RAM. I remember buying 1GB of DDR2 800 for $135 in 2007. I was happy to get 8GB for $63 for this new build :D

Glad I got my 16GB on black Friday for $45. :D To bad the motherboard has been dead since January so I can't even enjoy it :/

16 GB $45 atm is a treasure. Are you RMAing your motherboard?
Non overclocking motherboards have never cost less, I think.
STill have to miss introduction of Samsung 1600 RAM. Or low Ripjaw prices.

In the process of RMA. Sucks being at college cause the stuff is at home so I Can only really do anything on the weekends so it's been a VERY SLOW process. especially since I had to send it back twice! Probably won't get it back till summer break begins and then it's pretty much useless to me since I already have a computer at home. Oh well.

Back on topic, I was super happy about grabbing it for that cheap and especially now seeing the prices. I bought my first set of RAM for (I think) way too much. $150 for the 6GB set about three years ago. Very low timings though, but still. I swore to myself I would never pay that much again.

Back