• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram problem oc-ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woutertal

ram problem oc-ing please help

I have a strange problem oc-ing my ram. I have an asus p4s800 with p4 2.8 @ 533 MHz. I have elixir pc3200 cl 2.5 ram, 768 MB of it.

Now just to avoid remarks on mobo and ram; I know the mobo is not the best for oc-ing, and that Elixir isn't the best around.

My ram works fine at stock speed with 2.5 3 3 7 (spd) settings

When I am overclcking the FSB from 133 to 153 => cpu @ 3217 MHz, I have to set the ram divider so it runs at 382 MHz (2x191), and timings down to 3 3 3 9. :drool:

Why is this? I would have thought that at this lower (382 MHz instead of 400) frequency, the ram would run fine at 2.5 3 3 7.

Can anybody ehd some light on this? I really miss something her that I need to understand to progress in the OC game (art?)

Also, please tell me if this post should be in another forum; perhaps the mobo one?

Your help is very much appreciated.

:D

Last edited:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

what dividers are there?? how about you increase your Vdimm and see if you can run at stock timmings then

Hi! thanks for answering. My board offers the following dividers:

at FSB 133-165 4:3, 8:5 and 4:2
at FSB 166-199 5:3 and 2:1

Vdimm is set to 2.7V, the highest available value in BIOS

I was hoping to reach FSB 166, cpu @ 3500, mainly because of the AGP/PCI frequency which at that FSB is back to stock (or should be). The memory should than, with the 5:3 divider, run at 400 MHz. I think that the cpu should be able to.. in fact the system boots fine, but hangs at a black screen (directly after detecting the ide bus) when booting to win (xp-pro) at FSB 166.

When I run the system at FSB 153 (the highest possible stable setting right now), I have to use the 8:5 divider, and I have to reduce the timings as described above. Why? The memory only runs at 382 MHz..

I am thinking of buying some better memory, pc3700 or pc4000. Will that sort the problem? or is this board screwing up when using this divider?

I cannot run the mem at 1:1, the option simply doesn't exist because of the cpu running at 533.

I am puzzled.

Thanks for your help. :cool:

Back