• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram problem with half of 8gb in hardware reserve

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kdizzle85

So after scrolling through tomshardware with no help I am here! This is my first post and from the looks of it you guys here are a little bit more technically skilled. So my issue I am having is that 3.97GB of my 8gb of ram is usable while the rest is in hardware reserve. I have ran CPU-z and it shows I have 8gb of ram but in a single channel which I think is my problem because im running a 4x2 set up.

My system specs:
CPU: Fx-6300
Motherboad: gigabyte ga-970a-d3p
GPU: Nvida 650TI Sc
Ram: G.Skill 4GBx2 DDR3 2133 (speed is set at 1600 auto from bios)
PSU: Cosair Cx750m
HDD: 120 sdd (os) WB 1tb (main storage)

Thanks again!

Welcome!

Assuming that you use an x64 OS, I'd reshuffle the RAM to get dual channel (xoxo or oxox?) and disable any unneeded hardware capabilities.

If you still have the 'missing' RAM probelem after resolving the dual-channel, look for an updated BIOS?

I have shuffled every possible slot combo and the ones that actually allow my computer to boot still have the same problem. I have tried each stick individually in slot one and both worked fine popping up as 4gb.

I have tried seating the ram in every possible order with no success. here are some pictures of my CPUz IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG Untitled.png

On your board, for a dual channel memory kit (2 DIMMs), one stick should be placed in the slot furthest from the CPU, and one two slots from that one.

On your board, for a dual channel memory kit (2 DIMMs), one stick should be placed in the slot furthest from the CPU, and one two slots from that one.
I have that currently after a clean install of windows and same results...

You have installed 32bit OS.. Having the RAM in one channel is normal and you can change one of the sticks to the 3rd dimm socket to gain benefit of dual channel. Press Windows key + pause to confirm that you have the right version of windows installed.

if he's using win xp it will only see 4 gigs, I don't see his os listed.

That's only because the vast majority of XP installs were 32-bit.
If you had a 64-bit install of XP it didn't have the limitation.

Back