• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spyderpig

Registered
So i have a laptop with 2 slots with 1gb in each slot. Im not sure why but most of the time the laptop only picks up 1 gb of ram and it makes my computer extremely slow. Sometimes it picks up both and then my laptop works fine... I have a suspicion this is linked to the humidity... prolly makes the connection better. At first I thought I had faulty ram so i took ram from another computer and put it in and still had the same problem. So i have a couple questions.

1. Is there something I can do to increase better connectivity for my ram?
2. If I just install one 4gb stick is that better than say 2 x 2gb?

Thanks guys!

It's better to have two sticks because that enables dual channel mode.

What you can try to increase the connectivity is taking the ram sticks out and putting them back in a couple times. If there is and build up on the connections this should scrape it away.

It doesn't sound like faulty ram though, if that were the case you would probably be getting BSOD's and crashes.

Where are you seeing 1GB of RAM installed?

says the amount of ram installed in the control panel.

i will try scraping away any build up i guess but its really weird... some days i have 2gbs, but most days i have 1 and the difference is just crazy.

says the amount of ram installed in the control panel.

i will try scraping away any build up i guess but its really weird... some days i have 2gbs, but most days i have 1 and the difference is just crazy.

Don't physically scrap the contacts, just put them in and take them out like you would normally insert them.

A pencil eraser works really well for cleaning those contacts. That's what I've read anyways, never had to do it.

Back