• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram score increased

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

After my recent overclock, I decided to run the Windows Experience Index to see if my CPU score would increase. Well,the CPU score didn't increase but my Ram score went from 7.5 to 7.6. My memory is running at 1333 where the old score was with my Ram set to 1600. Is this from setting the CPUNB Freq. to 2400?

Could be but not likely or it could be because of the lower latency the ram is running at when you lowered the frequency. Actually, I would be surprised that either of those factors would change the WEI because I have never gotten the impression that WEI looks at things with that degree of precision. I'm thinking it looks at things in broad strokes like how much ram you have rather than the frequency or the timing. Maybe I'm wrong.

No, it'll do a RAM speed test. Its conclusions may not be especially accurate though. My guess is that it's within the margin of error, but lower latencies may account for it.

The CPU NB definitely helps not just in the WEI, but also in general performance.
I can get a RAM WEI increase if i bump the CPU NB.

The highest i can get is 7.7.
The settings are, RAM 1470Mhz, Timings 8-8-8-20-T1, CPU NB 2850Mhz.

That's from 7.5 with All stock and 1333Mhz

The CPU is 7.6, i can get the CPU to 7.7 but that's at 4.1Ghz + and its to warm there on my current cooler.

Thats not to say those setting will work in any way for you.

Could be but not likely or it could be because of the lower latency the ram is running at when you lowered the frequency. Actually, I would be surprised that either of those factors would change the WEI because I have never gotten the impression that WEI looks at things with that degree of precision. I'm thinking it looks at things in broad strokes like how much ram you have rather than the frequency or the timing. Maybe I'm wrong.

This is actually a false assumption, WEI actually uses hard number benchmarks to assign the scores that seem so completely arbitrary. If you run it in command prompt without the GUI you will see these benchmark scores that it uses to calculate your score. It measures things like 4k read and write and such on hard drives, memory latency, memory transfer speed, and lots more.

This is actually a false assumption, WEI actually uses hard number benchmarks to assign the scores that seem so completely arbitrary. If you run it in command prompt without the GUI you will see these benchmark scores that it uses to calculate your score. It measures things like 4k read and write and such on hard drives, memory latency, memory transfer speed, and lots more.

Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

i get total random scores sometimes when i run WEI on my SSD annd GFX i have a 6950 and somtimes it reads it a 4.2 then i will run it again a couple of days later and it will read it at 7.9 it is the same with my SSD i have a crucial C300 am it reads between 6.9-7.9 i think it depends on how it feels to how it runs some times

lol wei is pretty bad, i get a worse score with my 6950 on the graphics than my old 3870x2 lmfao and just adding ram boosts up the ram score

I think Microsoft should remove it from w8 because it is useless
I think it's not that bad, actually. It's not as accurate as the benchmarks we usually look at, but it does bring some benchmarking to the average consumer in a very general way. I like the idea, at least, that someone can get a ballpark idea of whether their system will run a program or game based on whether their WEI score matches the program's requirements.

The CPU NB definitely helps not just in the WEI, but also in general performance.
I can get a RAM WEI increase if i bump the CPU NB.

The highest i can get is 7.7.
The settings are, RAM 1470Mhz, Timings 8-8-8-20-T1, CPU NB 2850Mhz.

That's from 7.5 with All stock and 1333Mhz

The CPU is 7.6, i can get the CPU to 7.7 but that's at 4.1Ghz + and its to warm there on my current cooler.

Thats not to say those setting will work in any way for you.
Yes the NB clock improves overall system performance. Get it to 3000mhz if you can ;)

Back