• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Suggestions for my new RIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I''m ready to buy now.

Uses: gaming of course!, I don't care about benchmarking.

I'm just not sure what RAM to get. My final round in asking. I want 2 sticks, total 16gig. I need RAM that fits under my HSF. I'm leaning with GSkill, X, R or Ares, but I have no idea which ones would be good vs great.

Here's the link: GSkill RAM-which one?

Any input appreciated regarding the RAM above.

System Specs:

mATX form factor

Mobo: ASUS Max Gene V z77 chip set
CPU: Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
SSD: Intel 520 Cherryville 120gig
HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Seasonic X650Gold

Last edited:
Manu picked a great one. They have tighter timings and will fit under any HSF.

My question is why 1600mhz? Because its in your budget, or...?

Should be able to get a nice set in a combo deal with your PSU or motheboard, if you're ordering from Newegg.

Manu picked a great one. They have tighter timings and will fit under any HSF.

My question is why 1600mhz? Because its in your budget, or...?

Curious, what would you get instead? Should I be getting something faster or what?? I'm not familar w/RAM as my system is so old haha

the i5 2500k is still a great cpu. Your board can handle up to 2800mhz.

I wouldnt get anything less than 1866mhz but if it were me i would get 2133 or 2400mhz but no less than 1866.

It can get pricey especially for 16gb 2x8gb. I think you would be fine with 8 2x4gb tho.

1866 2x8gb is about $125, 2133 2x8gb about $160 and $200 for 2400 2x8gb

No but it makes a difference in other applications and other uses. Also improves RAM copy/read/write speed
Did you have a chance to check out that link? Not in gaming, encoding, or compression does it make a difference. The sweetspot for 90% of users, even here, is a simply 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz @ 1.5v. Ram speed, since it doesnt make a difference now, will not help futureproof your PC. Quantity perhaps, but I still wouldnt get 16GB now... only when needed.

I think we confirmed what we pretty much knew all along: Sandy Bridge's improved memory controller has all but eliminated the need for extreme memory bandwidth, at least for this architecture. It's only when you get down to DDR3-1333 that you see a minor performance penalty. The sweet spot appears to be at DDR3-1600, where you will see a minor performance increase over DDR3-1333 with only a slight increase in cost. The performance increase gained by going up to DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 isn't nearly as pronounced.

Outside of chasing ORB chart placement, memory is one of the components least likely to play a significant role in performance.

We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600.

Outside of using an IGP.. very little gains.

Anything above 1866 might not do much more but from 1333 to 1866 its a pretty good jump in performance. Averaged 6 more fps in heaven and had 90pts higher score. Min fps jumped 2.8fps and max jumped 8.2. Jumped 1.5fps in cinebench. Not sure about 2133 cuz I cant ever seem to get my memory stable at those speeds even tho plenty of reviews on my ram people have done it.

1866 is pretty cheap anyway, thats what I would go with. For AMD Systems anything in 1866 - 2000 mhz shows great results but up from there the percentage gains dont increase by much.

So I guess the answer to my question is 'no'. :p

Nobody is saying 1333Mhz.. we are saying 1600Mhz. That link, and other testing like it tells the story OP.

I didnt feel like doing 1600 im busy doing other crap. But ill see what kind of jump it is from 1600 to 1866. sure its not much but its still better.

Well, that anandtech link already did it for you.. I have been alluding to that for a couple of posts now. But you are welcome to confirm the results that have already been provided (which note again, show negligible if any improvements).

Last edited:
Well, that anandtech link already did it for you.. I have been alluding to that for a couple of posts now. But you are welcome to confirm the results that have already been provided (which note again, show negligible if any improvements).

Thanks a lot Earthdog and everyone else. I really appreciate it. I'm going to get the 1600 then. That article was quite useful.

hmm when I clicked that link from manu it said it was discontinued.

If youre going that intel route, take these for sure

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

They are optimized for intel and have ready xmp profiles. Very very friendly when overclocking with z77. This memory has been created for z77 board.

The case SAYS optimized for z77 (i can take pics and show you). Thats my suggestion though, it would fit your set up perfect and compliment it nicely. Price not too bad, if you wait a while it'll probably drop 10$ every now and then. Native CAS at 8 is a bonus. You don't have to do a thing other than plug them in for WEI of 7.9 ;).

ADD:

adding a pic for z77 compatibility!

+1 to only needing 8GB RAM.. Those ripjaws Kosay linked are solid.

G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 1600mhz

Just to keep it cheaper. Even between the two timings; you won't notice any difference (this being C9, Kosays linked C8's). I say save money and just get these... I ran 6GB for 2 years NO issues for gaming; never fully utilized. I now run 8GB of these exact modules. Again no issues. Plenty fast.

+1 to only needing 8GB RAM.. Those ripjaws Kosay linked are solid.

G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 1600mhz

Just to keep it cheaper. Even between the two timings; you won't notice any difference (this being C9, Kosays linked C8's). I say save money and just get these... I ran 6GB for 2 years NO issues for gaming; never fully utilized. I now run 8GB of these exact modules. Again no issues. Plenty fast.

I agree and disagree.

Depends on your interests, if you're into OC and wanna get nicer benchmarks go for lower timings. Thats really all its better for.

If you're just doing regular computer stuff such as gaming and what not you won't notice the difference >.<. It's all up to you but both are amazing memory kits for your mobo, <3 Gskill.

(its only 10 dollars extra? :chair:)

Back