• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED RAM suggestions for new rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore

Registered
Just upgraded from 775 to 1155 socket with a MSI P67A C43 / i5 2500k and i am asking for some suggestions on 4GB modules running at 1600MHz.Height is not a problem,i am planning to cool CPU down with some H80 or 100 in the near future,once i get the hang of that new BIOS interface and push it over to at least 4.0GHz.Should i go with 1.5V sticks,1.65V,compatibility issues with any specific brand,things like that,any clues?

I would grab 2x4GB of 1600 CL9 1.5V and call it a day.

G.SKILL and Corsair are the two brands that come to my mind, but most RAM does just fine.
If you're really worried about compatibility, check your motherboard manufacturer's website for a memory compatibility list.

There is no difference if memory is 1.5 or 1.65V. All new platforms and memory chips are supporting higher voltages and difference in temperature is like 1-2*C.
I would get something from G.Skill, Kingston or Crucial. I'm not really Corsair fan because of their prices and random issues with their cheaper kits.
Since 99% branded memory kits available on the market are compatible with JEDEC then there shouldn't be any issues with compatibility on the latest Intel or AMD platforms. The only issues can be caused by XMP profiles if motherboard can't read it right ( or memory has any mistake in SPD/XMP profile ). However it's really rare especially on the Intel boards.

There is no difference if memory is 1.5 or 1.65V. All new platforms and memory chips are supporting higher voltages and difference in temperature is like 1-2*C.
I would get something from G.Skill, Kingston or Crucial. I'm not really Corsair fan because of their prices and random issues with their cheaper kits.
Since 99% branded memory kits available on the market are compatible with JEDEC then there shouldn't be any issues with compatibility on the latest Intel or AMD platforms. The only issues can be caused by XMP profiles if motherboard can't read it right ( or memory has any mistake in SPD/XMP profile ). However it's really rare especially on the Intel boards.

I dont know about the problems with cheaper kits, but i am happy with my Vengeance kits.

That said, I agree with the 1600Mhz kits. G.Skill or Corsair would be my choice, i also run Kingston, and have done for ages without issues.

Thank you gentlemen,as i undrstand it,any top branded kit will do,was worried more about the voltages but i'll stick with 1.5 and keep setting this rig up.Will mark as solved.Thanks again,good to know,someone is listening (reading) out there...

Back