• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage 2 in da house!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello..

I am new to overclocking, this is my first ever to try it out..the dark side draws me to it...
I have been trying for a couple of days with all kind of settings ive seen here on the forums..
I know i am doing lots wrong since to be honoust i have no idea how to proceed, i have been reading up about it alot tho, still i am no technician, and most of this puzzles me..

I would appreciate any help..

Atm i am just running it on the crazy setting on 4.0Ghz and my memory is downclocked to 1243 automaticly..
I have a thermaltake triton 81 cpu cooler and a Lian Li pc-p80 and im on 50 degrees on idle..

Now i would like to run it at 4.2 or even 4.4 which i think must be possible on air only..(so ive read)
And for my memory which is 1333, i want to run at 1600mhz..

Now ive tried cpu multiplier on x21 and bclk on 200 and i boot fine in windows but crash while running vantage cpu test..
i got my cpu volt on 1.4350 ive raised it by 0.05 volts up to 1.58 and am to scared to go any higher..
Now do i need to raise any other volt ? like qpi/dram or ICH volt or IOH volt or Dram bus volt ?
It must be one or 2 of those but i have no clue which ones and how high..

if you need anything for me to answer please ask away for i am here all day..

Tnx

P.S also posted on extremesystems.org the more eyes the sooner i can figure this out !

Congrats on the rig!

One thing I notice that is odd which I think is negatively affecting your performance #s too is that your QPI link frequency is quite low, and you have too high of a multiplier. You need to up your bclk and lower your multiplier.

I get better numbers than you running at 3.9ghz. That just shows that you need to up your bclk and lower your multiplier. 31x is nuts to be honest.

Good luck in your tweaking.

edit: forgot to mention that I've heard of that the rampage II is going to be totally revamped soon because of poor performance...

Who is using a 31x? I just use 27x with 44x for the QPI link :) as I find I can use less vcore. luv is your actual clock 4.15Ghz or 3.9XX + Turbo? As turbo only overclocks one of the cores under load I thought, so 3 cores will still be at the normal speed.

Who is using a 31x? I just use 27x with 44x for the QPI link :) as I find I can use less vcore. luv is your actual clock 4.15Ghz or 3.9XX + Turbo? As turbo only overclocks one of the cores under load I thought, so 3 cores will still be at the normal speed.

That's weird; I was going off the first page :(

I see you have since managed to up your bclk and lower your multi ---> good job.

I am running 20x196 = 3.92 + turbo = 4.10Xghz
Also, note that running at 4.10Xghz with turbo yields me virtually identical benchmarks than well running a "true" 4.1ghz. I believe this is because software has much updating to do to take full advantage of multicore and HT processing power.

I could go higher but my 750TX is suffering to stay afloat at my current config with 3hdds and 2 OC'ed gtx260 core 216s.

My numbers are better than many I see on hwbot.org of people with higher OCs for both their RAM and CPU.

My guess is that their OCs they are benching with aren't stable and thus hurting their overall performance. Also, I believe the Evga board is the best board out there once they got their BIOS to where it should be. This is reflected on the most recent reviews as well.

Your comp and settings is looking bad *ss badbonji! Sorry for incorrectly posting. I didn't read pages 2 & 3 :bang head

I am sure you could go further, you have huge amounts of room with being at 1.282Vcore. I agree with the Turbo, but sometimes it can cause instability when switching clocks to the turbo, which happened to me. I doubt my PSU would like another GTX295, so I will wait for hopefully less power hungry nvidia 40nm GPU's then possibly upgrade my water cooling, go for 4.5Ghz ~1.4Vcore and tri sli with a new case - the antec 900 makes the PSU block off the 3rd PCI-e slot for any dual slot GPU's which is kind of annoying.

EVGA have always been amazing, but also tend to cost more than their equivalent, especially on GPU market. And they aren't the only company for step-up's now either. Now if someone could do step-ups between Nvidia/ATi then it will be much more flexible.

So mgoode what is your stable vcore now? I managed 1.39Vcore (1.36-1.37V load) for 4.3Ghz stable.

You do not need to upgrade right away, you could always wait until the new revision of X58's (possibly with Hydra) and the next i7's whatever their name will be.

Thats sweet, I am 4.2Ghz @ 1.41. What temps are you getting when priming @ 4.3? Post up some prime screen shots.

Ok so ive got this running atm..

20x200 gives me 4.0GHZ i startet my volt at 1.30 all the way up to 1.37500 in bios which gives me a 1.360 in cpuz and it runns fine with HT on (when i go 21x200 with HT on i need 1.47 volts which gives me 95 degrees on full load, so i wont go there !)
About HT, yes it is def a big + in vantage score, i get a higher score with 4.0Ghz with HT then 4.2GHz without HT..

Ive got corsiar tri set 6G 1333, now ive raised it to 1603mhz and put the DRamm volt on 1.65 seems to run smooth..

only thing i dont know yet is the Qpi/Dramm volt, ive got it on auto, reads 1.10 volt.. seems a bit off..should i raise it ?

Any suggestions are welcome !

And luv2increase wtf you run on air stable and have turbo & HT on at 4.15 with 1.282 volts ????? im jealous !!!!

About the R2E, do you have a libnk about the revamping ?

Baran

If you install the TurboV application from you motherboard CD you can see the exact voltages. Also My chip is the same way I can run 4.0ghz at 1.35 but need more juice to get her stable at 4.2ghz.

Amazing OC man! I have neither 965 nor REII. My Bloodrage will come tomorrow to pair up with my 920. Hopefully I can do 4GHz on water.

What is the highest voltage you can run safely with i7? I am still new to OC, coming from a s939 x2 as my first build I don't understand what's the true enemy of OCer besides temp.

1.55 is the max volts for core i7. I don't run mine any higher than 1.48 except for the occaisional benchmark suicide run:) On water and air overclocking is all about voltage and temps. I usally get my best 24/7 oc then work on my max bench stable oc so I can add some points to our hwbot team score.

For some reason my pc isn't as stable as it used to be since I went raid 0 with two raptors. I am at 4.25Ghz with 1.344Vcore for now, which is 3 hours prime95 stable so I guess it should be fine for the time being. I am trying to work my way back up to 4.35Ghz, and maybe play with a little clock skews as I haven't got round to using them yet. Have you used these at all? I really want my 4.35Ghz back as it was a decent clock for voltage. I think 4.5Ghz may be within reach, but my cooling can not handle more than 1.4-1.45Vcore without topping out at around 80-90C which I am uncormfotable with. Currently at 35C idle 64C load :)

only thing i dont know yet is the Qpi/Dramm volt, ive got it on auto, reads 1.10 volt.. seems a bit off..should i raise it ?

I think your QPI/Dramm volt is the same thing as VTT. You need to keep that value within .5v of your Dimm voltage. If you are running your RAM at 1.65v, you need to have your VTT at atleast 1.15v.

And luv2increase wtf you run on air stable and have turbo & HT on at 4.15 with 1.282 volts ????? im jealous !!!!

It wasn't as stable as I though. It failed on me on my 3rd hour of Prime95 64-bit Blend test. I just lowered my bclk by 2 from 198 to 196 with all the same settings, and it is fine now but only at 4.10ghz...

Only 4.1? Dude that is nothing to be ashamed off, that is still like the best 920I have seen on the forums. You tried clock skews yet? I bet they will help you. Why not try to find your maximum base clock, I think you have loads of room! I do most of transcoding on my GPU now, so I don't rely on as much stability as others on these forums would. Saying that, I managed to run prime95 blend for 6 hours @ 4.25Ghz 1.34Vcore, so I guess it is fine. I am surprised how far my G.Skill memory goes, I have managed to boot at it close to 1800Mhz now. I will play around with skews tomorrow when I get time.

Badbonji I wonder how well my chip might do in your Gigabyte board and vice-versa. I will be playing around with clock skews as well this weekend trying to kill time before I watch the steelers go down:)

Thanks for the Quick reply!

I went ahead and got the Rampage II and the 920 CPU, but they were out of stock for the corsair Memory so OCZ was what i got.OCZ GOLD 6 GB

Can I get your help on OCing this after i set up?

Thanks

BTW, what do yot think the 920 cpu can do ? 3.6??

WOOT! My reply for at memory on the egg is the top one lol. I love this memory. I have it running at 1800mhz just by upping the multi abit.

As for your question on how the 920 will oc, i have mine at 3ghz on the stock cooler cause im getting a Thermalright V1 in a few days. But I have done my research here and all over the web and they will do over 4ghz with the proper cooling (in talking 24/7 stable, not just cranking it up and posting. ).

Badbonji I wonder how well my chip might do in your Gigabyte board and vice-versa. I will be playing around with clock skews as well this weekend trying to kill time before I watch the steelers go down:)

Tell me how they work out, I want to play with mine as I haven't had real time to test it.
If you get further even by 50-100mhz, I will try it out too :)

Actually I am thinking about selling My Rampage 2 in order to get the new EVGA classified coming out. ASUS is promising a new kick-*** bios for this board this week so we will see how that goes.

They did but my board is in RMA status. I am playing around with an EVGA board right now. XS has been down all day so I cant tell if people are having better luck with the new bios.

In RMA hell . Sent my board 2/23, called them status is waiting. I asked waiting for what? The rep didn't know and was supposed to get back to me....still waiting.

Back