• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmatties

i've been plagued with these random crashes that happen out of no where. no memory dumps no blue screens. ive even changed PSU and still get them. i get them with 1 or 4 sticks of ram. i'm guessing its the MB but something is telling me its the CPU. not sure i havent tested with another cpu yet but will do that as soon as my thermal paste gets here.

but what else should i look at. it is a fresh install of windows 10 pro. temps are fine been hitting 52 on load and 20 on idle on package and 40 and 60 on socket.

Are you overclocked and if so what kind of stress testing have you done to confirm stability? See Wingman's post above.

i backed it down to stock settings in the bios just to see if the overclock i had was the cause. but i'm still getting the random lockups and power down.

nope GPU is the problem. the chokes on the VRM burnt.just poped in my 7870 and took out my 390X the choke you can see from the bottem you can see discoloring on it. to off heat sink and sure enought all of them are dis colored.

It's sounding like the motherboard or the CPU. He already did a fresh install of OS.

cmatties, I would make sure you are running the latest bios version.

nope GPU is the problem. the chokes on the VRM burnt.just poped in my 7870 and took out my 390X the choke you can see from the bottem you can see discoloring on it. to off heat sink and sure enought all of them are dis colored.

Does the Rig work fine with the 7870?

May or may not be related but I was having issues with a review sample and windows 10 a year ago. Try disabling all the power savers in the advanced CPU section of BIOS. My feeling was Win10 possibly dropping the power too far in idle state. It also seemed fine if I left the ram at defaults. As soon as I set 1866 speed and timings it would act up again. Weird thing is it didn't do the same with older ( 2012 early 2013 ) cpus.

well i went through the bios again and everything is turned off for power management. i haven't replaced it back into the computer since its boxed up for shipment for RMA. hopefully they accept and not say i did this by overclocking it.

well been running all night and didn't shutdown at night. so hopefully the GPU was the problem.

Was the GPU overclocked? I thought about the GPU being the problem but you don't even have a GPU listed in your Sig. I had assumed you were using the IGP.

yea i notcied that after all this. my bad :chair:

i'll change it once i get the new one tomorrow.

but right i'm going enjoy this New York Strip :beer:

Back