• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random issue on BF3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iThomas

Hey guys,

I very rarely come across issues that I can't resolve myself, basically I set up my new computer yesterday:

AsRock Extreme 6 z77 Mobo,
Intel i5 3570k (Currently at stock as I check temps. etc on games),
Corsair HX650 PSU,
16GB Patriot 2133MHZ DDR3 RAM (4x4 sticks),
GTX 670 FTW edition card,
Running on a H80 heatsink, with around 4 system fans,

So when running BF3, getting good FPS; it randomally stops running, with no error messages, it just freezes. When I back out, I check temps. and max temp was 41 degrees, which to me sounds right.

I have never got a BSOD or any error messages etc, it just freezes, and doesn't do much. Which is why I cannot think of what it might be.

It was playing fine last night, as I had 1 or two games before bed after completing the build.

What I have done today, I installed the drivers for the mobo, as it is AsRock it had loads of random crap which I planned on removing anyway, which I have now removed all off them apart from the SATA controllers etc. Should I try removing these too?

I have also kept the Intel integrated drivers on it, should I remove them?

Earlier it was not starting up, but I figured it may have been Virtu MVP which came with the mobo installation, so I removed it, and the game loaded fine; but after about 10 minutes or so in to a game, it just freezes and becomes unresponsive.

I am running the latest drivers for GPU which I installed last night before playing few games on BF3.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Something of what you installed from the driver disk is my guess.. Who knows what it was/is though.

Yeah, dont auto install all the stuff on the disk... ever. LOL!

basic drivers and utilities are all you should need.

After removing pretty much everything, and only installing important drivers; it happened again, but this time got BSOD :/

Would it be PSU? 650 should be more than enough tho :/

Thanks for this man.

I tried a few more simple t/s steps; I went back in to BIOS and changed my RAM to run at "auto" rather than the rated 2133MHz that they are printed as.

Played another BF3 game, and managed to complete a full 800 ticket match (10-20 minutes) which is a good sign; will disable automatic restart in case it happens again.

Possibly GPU getting to warm? I ran MSI Afterburner during the last game I had which let me play a full match at the GPU reached 78 degrees C; not sure when it comes to GPU temps., CPU temps are more my thing.

78C is fine for a GPU.

Try the XMP profile for your memory instead of manually setting it.

Thanks for this man.

I tried a few more simple t/s steps; I went back in to BIOS and changed my RAM to run at "auto" rather than the rated 2133MHz that they are printed as.

I have a feeling that was your issue, as your motherboard only supports 2133(OC) which can definitely lead to instability if not overclocked correctly. I would leave it on auto as you can definitely avoid that issue in the future, keep us posted!

I have a feeling that was your issue, as your motherboard only supports 2133(OC) which can definitely lead to instability if not overclocked correctly. I would leave it on auto as you can definitely avoid that issue in the future, keep us posted!

|I thought that might have been it, which is why I put it back to Auto, currently booking holidays with the girlfriend, will have few more games later and keep yas posted.

I dont think the mobo is the issue in all of this. Not to mention, with overclocking, it supports MUCH faster ram than 2133. Id set the XMP profile and go. If that doesnt help, raise VCCIO and VCCSA .1 and see if that helps.
Memory Standard: DDR3 2800+(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/ 1600/1333/1066

Manually setting the RAM to 2133MHz seems to have been the issue.

Have had a few games since setting it to "Auto" where there have been no issues, even on the same servers where I was having issues, in case it was a server problem.

I will try using the XMP profiles to set the RAM speed later.

Back