• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Reboots while gaming WTF is the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I'll be sitting just fine in Arma 3 when bam entire system decides to reboot without reason.

I ran Prime95 to see if CPU temps were the issue but temps never even reached 40c which I find unusual.

I'm clueless as where to start my troubleshooting as this is a brand new problem I've never experienced before but it only seems to occur under a gaming load.

Please help this is annoying me.

If you're overclocked, remove it and see if you still get restarts in that game.

+1 ^^

So, what system are you running? You dont have a signature, you have tried to build a couple of systems the last few months... what parts is this happening on?

Does it happen in any other game?
Have you tried something like AIDA64 stress test and Unigine Heaven at the same time and see if it reboots?

+1 ^^

So, what system are you running? You dont have a signature, you have tried to build a couple of systems the last few months... what parts is this happening on?

Does it happen in any other game?
Have you tried something like AIDA64 stress test and Unigine Heaven at the same time and see if it reboots?

All of this +1.
I wasn't sure about the sig because I posted from the app this morning, but suspected it wouldn't be there.

+1 on your current build. I'm interested in your video card and power supply. How old is your hardware in general?

Some thoughts are:
When your video card tops out, you may not be producing enough power from your power supply.

Run Memtest86+

This is my old rig - Nothing special nothing impressive at all

Isn't 11.39 a lil low for the 12v rail to be dropping to under 100% load? I also noticed that during OCCT CPU & GPU test that proc is heavily throttling

Dropped from 4Ghz to 2.8 on multiple occasions under load byt never exceeded 43c in my hour long test.

AMD FX-8320
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 8GB
Corsair H110 Cooler
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
PNY XLR8 240 SSD
PNY Optima 120GB SSD
WD Black 3TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 2TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 640 GB - Storage
Win 10 64 Bit

There is no rhyme or reason it can do it 15 seconds into the game or 50 minutes it's totally random. That said it's older hardware!

I usually run GPU fans at 80% or higher manually during gaming to keep temps down.

Last edited:
This is my old rig - Nothing special nothing impressive at all

Isn't 11.39 a lil low for the 12v rail to be dropping to?

AMD FX-8320
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 8GB
Corsair H110 Cooler
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
PNY XLR8 240 SSD
PNY Optima 120GB SSD
WD Black 3TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 2TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 640 GB - Storage
Win 10 64 Bit

Measure via multimeter, not software.

Measure via multimeter, not software.

Can you recommend any decent brand PSU testers that you trust?

Yeah I know I can do it with a multimeter I just dont remember the procedure I remember it does involve a paper clip just been ages since I did it .

As far as a PSU tester, none that an average user can use. The $20 thing really isn't going to tell you anything much.

Testing for voltages and 'jumping' a PSU are two different things. Since its already in a full system, there is no need to jumper it on (the point of jumping a PSU is to turn it on without anything attached to it). That said, just grab a free molex and check the 12v (yellow) line. The red lead on the MM goes there while the black needs to be grounded.

ATX spec is 5%. So 5% of 12.00 is 12.6 and 11.4v.

Anyway, since its an FX Octo core, I am going to be the VRMs are getting toasty on load... particularly because you are mentioning the CPU is throttling. Are you overclocked? Get some fans on the back of the motherboard and on the VRM area and see if the problem stops.

Can you recommend any decent brand PSU testers that you trust?

Yeah I know I can do it with a multimeter I just dont remember the procedure I remember it does involve a paper clip just been ages since I did it .

Why buy one when any multimeter will work?

As far as a PSU tester, none that an average user can use. The $20 thing really isn't going to tell you anything much.

Testing for voltages and 'jumping' a PSU are two different things. Since its already in a full system, there is no need to jumper it on (the point of jumping a PSU is to turn it on without anything attached to it). That said, just grab a free molex and check the 12v (yellow) line. The red lead on the MM goes there while the black needs to be grounded.

ATX spec is 5%. So 5% of 12.00 is 12.6 and 11.4v.

Anyway, since its an FX Octo core, I am going to be the VRMs are getting toasty on load... particularly because you are mentioning the CPU is throttling. Are you overclocked? Get some fans on the back of the motherboard and on the VRM area and see if the problem stops.

You are exactly right Earthdog and I have felt these heatsinks under a gaming load and they get HOT nearly to the point its uncomfortable to touch more than a few seconds.

The 2 red sinks get hot as fire almost

You are exactly right Earthdog and I have felt these heatsinks under a gaming load and they get HOT nearly to the point its uncomfortable to touch more than a few seconds.

The 2 red sinks get hot as fire almost

Get a fan on them...

Have you tried removing the side panel and pointing a house fan into the case to see if it helps your issue?

What speed are you running at? I had an M5A99FX pro and anything over 4.5 it really did kind of struggle. here's a couple pics for fan ideas.

Capturefan.PNG vrm fans.jpg bass.jpg

That is like shoving a 454 big block into a Chevy Geo... :rofl: :shrug:. Sure it can be done, and its something to talk about, but........that's it.

I would think ~40-50mm, like Johan's picture showed would suffice on the back. Not sure how you would fit a 140mm fan behind your case in the first place... they are 25mm thick, not to mention I am not sure the case cut outs for rear mounted heatsinks are even that big.

Now, on the front, you can do that fan if you have the room. You just need to cool that area off. A smaller fan would likely be better right on top.

Back