• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random shutdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Ok, so my pc keeps shutting down and restarting out of nowhere. I thought it was the PSU, so I bought a new one. Still doin it, thought it may have been an unstable overclock so I added more power, still doin it. Thought it could be the memory so I installed different memory, still doing it. Sounds like the MB, no? I got so mad lastnight I slammed my hand into the side of the case and the window shattered. What the hell man? You guys think it's the MB too or what?

I've had it at stock for 3 hours now and no shutdowns. It's weird though, it's been at 4.4 for 3 yrs, why would it not be able to handle it all the sudden? Yes, instant power off to restart like I hit the restart button.

That's usually power related or heat from my experience. I'd check that the H100i is working properly as well as the PSU. If they're all good then could be mobo

What voltage did you set for 4.4?

Powering straight off is typically a power supply issue, what did you replace the PSU with?

Had a Kingwin KX-1000, it happened, got an EVGA G2 1000, it did it, have the Corsair HX1000i, it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, I just don't understand we it's fine now at stock but at 4.4 which it has been at for 3 years it resets.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess, I'm just gonna start saving up for a new cpu and mb. Which of these cpu's should I go with? 4790k, 5820k, or 6700k?

Yea, I just don't understand we it's fine now at stock but at 4.4 which it has been at for 3 years it resets.
Because these things happen...

Try to restabilize your overclock...pretty simple. There is no need to go out and buy new hardware yet...:shrug:

1.4v is a lot for that clock speed and chip. We generally say to stay at 1.4v or less... so maybe it has degraded. I would lower the overclock a couple hundred Mhz and the voltage to see if you can get it stable.

Again, does it cut off while under load or idle or both?

Most SB was being run daily at ~1.35V, with a typical maximum of 1.4V. It's very possible your chip has slowly been degrading due to the voltage and is now unstable at those settings.
Try setting 42x at 1.325V and test if it's stable. There's nothing truly "wrong" with the board or chip, IMO, it just can't hold 4.4GHz at 1.4V any longer.

Please, enlighten me, if it was bad caps why would stress testing at a slightly lowered OC still work?

That's what I would BOL for if the same OC for a while, suddenly loses stability. And dropping the core clock by about 20 Mhz possibly temporarily solves the problem, but it keeps getting worse, you have to keep lowering the core clock. And it probably will eventually be unstable at stock.....

But, your issue is likely to be PSU caps that can't hold a charge, so you get what is the same thing as a brief blackout.

Last edited:
That's what I would BOL for if the same OC for a while, suddenly loses stability. And dropping the core clock by about 20 Mhz possibly temporarily solves the problem, but it keeps getting worse, you have to keep lowering the core clock. And it probably will eventually be unstable at stock.....

But, your issue is likely to be PSU caps that can't hold a charge, so you get what is the same thing as a brief blackout.

Brand new quality PSU does the same thing, please read the thread.

Back