• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rayrays build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would water cooling help out alot? Everything I've read on the 6350 says max oc is 4.8 even on water so would it even been worth it. I doubt the other .3 Mhz would be noticeable. Pretty much the only reason I haven't kept mine any higher than 4.5.

You have a decent motherboard and CPU already, if it were me I'd take the $400 and get started with water cooling, but that's me.

This +1

Would water cooling help out alot? Everything I've read on the 6350 says max oc is 4.8 even on water so would it even been worth it. I doubt the other .3 Mhz would be noticeable. Pretty much the only reason I haven't kept mine any higher than 4.5.

You can always use the water loop on your next build.
Or even put your GPU on water along with the CPU :thup:

Edit: Also, I ran 4.8 daily on good air with my 6300 before it was in the server.
Over 5.0 for benching, still on air.
That chip could EASILY have run 5.2+ daily with good water.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it tops out at 4.8 not by a long shot. Many will get 5.0 with the 8350 on good water. The 6350 has less heat to deal with so unless you had a bum chip you should be able to run 5.0 any way. Also as ATM said once you have the equiptment you can just swap it to the new platform usually fairly easy.
Here's some examples of my 6350 on really really good water. http://url.hwbot.org/1frbEvN

This +1

You can always use the water loop on your next build.
Or even put your GPU on water along with the CPU :thup:

Edit: Also, I ran 4.8 daily on good air with my 6300 before it was in the server.
Over 5.0 for benching, still on air.
That chip could EASILY have run 5.2+ daily with good water.

What were your temps at 4.8. I've been up to 4.72 so far but couldn't get stable (but didn't mess with it a whole lot) with the air flow of my case when I went to 4.7 my temps were around 55 centigrade and that was with a small little floor fan blowing into my case. That was before I replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver 5. Even though that probably won't make a big difference.

I'm just wanting more stuff to upgrade on it I guess. Just wanting to future proof. Plus when I think of a budget build I think of cheap parts. That may just be me I guess.
More stuff to upgrade is always fun, though I do agree with Johan. The board you have should be able to push the Fx 6350 as far as you want to take it on ambient cooling, going custom water will help you push it there.

There really isn't any future proofing with AMD these days. The AM3+ socket is all but dead at this point and as far as we know AMD has no plans on putting out an enthusiast grade Cpu any time in the near future. If they did it is most likely not going to be compatible with an AM3+ socket.

The 83xx chips are great but on AIR you will be better off on the 6350 as most programs and or games will not take advantage of the 8 "cores" on the 83xx chip. You will most likely be able to push the 6350 further then the 83xx chip especially on air.

If you were to get a new motherboard if spending $160.00 on the UD5 I would just cough up another $20 and get the Asus Sabertooth. Some of the different revisions of the newer Gigabyte boards have had troubles when over clocking the 83xx chips. The Sabertooth we know works and works well.

I wouldn't say it tops out at 4.8 not by a long shot. Many will get 5.0 with the 8350 on good water. The 6350 has less heat to deal with so unless you had a bum chip you should be able to run 5.0 any way. Also as ATM said once you have the equiptment you can just swap it to the new platform usually fairly easy.
Here's some examples of my 6350 on really really good water. http://url.hwbot.org/1frbEvN

was that with a custom loop? That's awesome seeing number like that. Guess I have just been looking at the wrong place

What were your temps at 4.8. I've been up to 4.72 so far but couldn't get stable (but didn't mess with it a whole lot) with the air flow of my case when I went to 4.7 my temps were around 55 centigrade and that was with a small little floor fan blowing into my case. That was before I replaced the thermal compound with arctic silver 5. Even though that probably won't make a big difference.

I had some nice case airflow and was running 4.8GHz @ 1.42V with an NH-D14.
Prime95 Blend for 20 minutes put me ~50°C on the core, ~62°C socket.
Never really budged past that. Gaming put me in the low to mid 40s with a GTX 770 in the case as well.

That was on the exact CPU, motherboard, and case that my server uses now (listed in my sig)
The motherboard is the previous generation of yours.

More stuff to upgrade is always fun, though I do agree with Johan. The board you have should be able to push the Fx 6350 as far as you want to take it on ambient cooling, going custom water will help you push it there.

There really isn't any future proofing with AMD these days. The AM3+ socket is all but dead at this point and as far as we know AMD has no plans on putting out an enthusiast grade Cpu any time in the near future. If they did it is most likely not going to be compatible with an AM3+ socket.

The 83xx chips are great but on AIR you will be better off on the 6350 as most programs and or games will not take advantage of the 8 "cores" on the 83xx chip. You will most likely be able to push the 6350 further then the 83xx chip especially on air.

If you were to get a new motherboard if spending $160.00 on the UD5 I would just cough up another $20 and get the Asus Sabertooth. Some of the different revisions of the newer Gigabyte boards have had troubles when over clocking the 83xx chips. The Sabertooth we know works and works well.

Ok I'll probably stick with what I have and look into different types of water cooling after hearing and seeing some of the numbers. Probably going to see about getting stable at 4.72 tonight and see how my temps are. With the push pull on my evo 212 the top fan is stupid close to the top of my case amd there's no vents at the top of my except for the exhaust fan.

was that with a custom loop? That's awesome seeing number like that. Guess I have just been looking at the wrong place
Rayray, yes he's on a custom loop with those Hwbot subs but the water is as cold as -15c so it was far from ambient cooling. On a 6350 you most likely could run 5.0-5.2 daily depending on the chip on a full custom loop.

I have noticed that after about 20 min on prime my temps don't really move. And usually don't want to go higher than 65 at the socket correct?

Rayray, yes he's on a custom loop with those Hwbot subs but the water is as cold as -15c so it was far from ambient cooling. On a 6350 you most likely could run 5.0-5.2 daily depending on the chip on a full custom loop.

Ok after work today I'll probably post up some more pics trying to get stable at 4.7. Before after like 5-10 minutes the cores would start failing in prime. That would be because of voltage correct?

Ok after work today I'll probably post up some more pics trying to get stable at 4.7. Before after like 5-10 minutes the cores would start failing in prime. That would be because of voltage correct?

Usually but it could also be memory related, so post the usual picks of where your OC is at if you have questions.

Like I said early on that I had my 6350 up to 4.6 with the hyper but that was the limit for mine the push to 4.7 took more voltage that the cooler could handle comfortably. You're most likely at the end of your cooling Ray.
Yes , I have a BIG water setup and can put my rad outside in the witer. But as Manny said 5-5.2 should be attainable with a good rad.

Back