• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REALLY happy with new LGA775 system (MUST READ)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamienKC

Well I got her up and going about 2 hours ago, got all my drivers installed, got my XP-120 on (what a ***** to get on too, i cut my finger doing so)

After just 2 hours of being up, i'm currently doing this:

lga4ghz.jpg

I don't know why the vcore says 3.3, but it's actually 1.48v in bios. I'm going to try lowering it one and doing this. I was completely stable in CS for half an hour @ 3.7ghz on 1.33v (i only played half an hour, it didn't crash :p). That's right, LESS than default voltage.

Did i get a god-sent chip?

--Damien

OK, you got a D0 stepping (second-to-last). If you hit stable 4.0+ on air at stock, you have a great chip.

FYI, these Pressy's will overclock more on more volts, but that is precarious on air, due to the added heat.

Here's a wattage calculator, FWIW:

http://newstuff.orcon.net.nz/wCalc.html

If 4.0 is stable on air at stock volts, on water @1.6v that thing should do 4.2. :beer:

BTW, do you know the sSpec# number for that chip? It's on the box if you bought retail, and it's stamped on the headspreader.

Prescott.jpg

The sSpec# number is in red triangle. If we know the sSpec# number we can get the needed values for the wattage calc.

Good luck,

JD

DamienKC said:
Well I got her up and going about 2 hours ago, got all my drivers installed, got my XP-120 on (what a ***** to get on too, i cut my finger doing so)

After just 2 hours of being up, i'm currently doing this:

lga4ghz.jpg

I don't know why the vcore says 3.3, but it's actually 1.48v in bios. I'm going to try lowering it one and doing this. I was completely stable in CS for half an hour @ 3.7ghz on 1.33v (i only played half an hour, it didn't crash :p). That's right, LESS than default voltage.

Did i get a god-sent chip?

--Damien

I forgot to write down the spec numbers, sorry.

I decided to just go with 3.9ghz @ default voltage right now, i'm priming, so far so good, idle is 41c, load is 55c (according to EQ, so ACTUAL temps are lower), the highest i see it hit is 58c, but that was once for like 2 seconds.

If this will be prime stable overnight, i will be VERY happy with my setup (except for having 512mb of ram :p)

I wouldn't go over 65C. that would be max in my book, anything over that and I would shut my PC off.

alright, because i hit 61c.

I failed prime, so i'm going to try to bump it up 1

EDIT: anyone with PCI-E, what should the pci-e mhz be? mine is at 112

I'd hold it below 60C internal/diode temperature for sustained load (ergo Prime, folding, 100% CPU usage) just because I don't trust thermal shutdown/thermal throttling systems when you're at a higher frequency and voltage.

How is your case airflow? What "thermal configuration" do you have?

Oh dear...

lga775_4point1ghz.jpg

I'm going to start priming, if this is stable, would this be considered an air record? :O

Ok...not prime stable at all, failed in 3 mins, but it was cool to screenie :). I'm doing 3.9 prime stable so far @ 1.437 in bios, BUT underload EQ says my vcore is 1.41, which is .01 more than stock voltage, so i think that's pretty damn good.

Batboy lets his temps up to 70 i think, just watch the mobo temp.

Gone go much higher on the Vcore on air, unless you're in my house. The plasterers are around, the door is open and the whole house is about 10c tops :/

~t0m

Not for any length of time. That was just for a suicide run. I have my alarm set at 65 degrees now.

whoooo boy, I just bought one of these and its being shipped now, I was swimming around the net checking for specs and reviews and stuff for these 775 chips. Looks very nice, you have the 540 thats a 3.2 right? Im happy i ordered the 550 (3.4) and now i cant wait for it to get here

DamienKC said:
Ok...not prime stable at all, failed in 3 mins, but it was cool to screenie :). I'm doing 3.9 prime stable so far @ 1.437 in bios, BUT underload EQ says my vcore is 1.41, which is .01 more than stock voltage, so i think that's pretty damn good.
Let's see what she can do at 1.55v! ;)

Jesus, I can't wait to see what bat's and my 3.8's will do

:O:O:O

especially if he's hitting close to 4 on air and I'm going phase change :O:O

I wont let my pressie run over 60c as thats when the cpu throttles, get that great little program someone posted in this section to see if yours is throttling with out you knowing about.

Yeah I got that program last night, according to it, in the last 11 hours i've been running dual f@h's, i throttled ONCE and it was to 5%, so it's doing good.

Back