• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rear Fan for this case needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have this case >Siliverstone TJ08-E mATX It has one 180mm Air Penetrator fan for positive pressure cooling.

The rear case fan cut out is 120mm

I have this HSF> Noctua NH-D14

Do I need a rear case fan? I would assume I do.

If so, what would you guys recommend? I've got a deal at NewEgg, 20% off, but I have to order it by 8-23-12.

Thanks in advance.

well technically you dont need any fans in your case,
it just depends on how cool you like your system running
personally i would suggest a fan for the back of your case
any would be fine i tend to stick to low rpm high static pressure fans with good airflow.

How do I determine high static pressure?
i personally have taken a liking to bitfenix spectre pro fans here lately replaced every fan in my case with them, they have a great combination of features and are dead quiet. (quiet is what i was after)

By reading the specifications and comparing them. the higher the better. :thup:

Hahah Dog. I knew that. I should have rephrased the question. I didn't know high static pressure was listed verbatim as a feature on a case fan. My question should have been is HSP listed as a feature?

HSP isn't listed, very rarely by manuf.. And not tested a lot by testers. Equipment is expensive to test. Head over to Martinsliquidlab.org for a primer.

Static for case fans isn't a big deal, since the case lets air flow through easy. On the CPU cooler it's a bit more important. On watercooling radiators it matters, a lot. Low static, no air through rad due to all the fins.

I own the TJ08-E. You don't need a rear fan. At all. For me it'd just be more noise that I don't want. theres enough positive pressure in that case as is. The only reason I'd ever use the rear slot is for a corsair or antec hydro unit or something. Or custom WC setup. There's already plenty of air being pushed through that front fan.

I own the TJ08-E. You don't need a rear fan. At all. For me it'd just be more noise that I don't want. theres enough positive pressure in that case as is. The only reason I'd ever use the rear slot is for a corsair or antec hydro unit or something. Or custom WC setup. There's already plenty of air being pushed through that front fan.

Thanks a lot for the info. What are your system specs? I read elsewhere there's not a lot of space between the PSU and a DVD drive.

2nd I was told I should remove the HDD cage, and put my 1TB HDD in the 3.5" slot on the bottom, w/my SSD below the HDD.

What do you think?

There isn't. If you've got a 160mm psu and an optical drive. Put the optical in the second 5.25 bay for easier cable management. If your PSU is LONGER than 160; DEFINITELY move it to the second slot. Lol. My specs are in my sig; posted via mobile before so didn't show.

Yeah I did that too; I removed the HDD cage and put my 3.5 and 2.5 at the bottom. BUT then I changed everything again.. :p. I don't even use the 3.5 bay device. I don't use an optical (USB dvd drive is what I use, i almost never use it, so I saw little to no point in installing one).

I've got 2 SSD's in a Silverstone 5.25 bay adapter in my top 5.25 bay; along with a 3.5 scythe fan controller; which sticks out the front (great adapter! lol). My HDD is now external only. Sits on my desk. It's also the loudest thing of my computer XD

Are your sig specs up to date? They're fairly old. The fact you're using a D14 would suggest you're running something different?

This is my rig.. A collage I already had made. Not quite up to date. I now have a GTX 670 Asus DCUII. That's my old 580 in there. I also moved my case back down on the floor (ew dust); but wanted the space on my desk lol.

But as you can see I have no rear fan installed. I've never felt the need for it. I swapped my PSU around to exhaust from inside the case because it whines a tiny bit. And it bothered me when it was on my desk. So I swapped it around (making the top vent/filter pointless). But otherwise the air is just all one direction really.

MyComp.jpg

There isn't. If you've got a 160mm psu and an optical drive. Put the optical in the second 5.25 bay for easier cable management. If your PSU is LONGER than 160; DEFINITELY move it to the second slot. Lol. My specs are in my sig; posted via mobile before so didn't show.

Yeah I did that too; I removed the HDD cage and put my 3.5 and 2.5 at the bottom. BUT then I changed everything again.. :p. I don't even use the 3.5 bay device. I don't use an optical (USB dvd drive is what I use, i almost never use it, so I saw little to no point in installing one).

I've got 2 SSD's in a Silverstone 5.25 bay adapter in my top 5.25 bay; along with a 3.5 scythe fan controller; which sticks out the front (great adapter! lol). My HDD is now external only. Sits on my desk. It's also the loudest thing of my computer XD

Are your sig specs up to date? They're fairly old. The fact you're using a D14 would suggest you're running something different?

This is my rig.. A collage I already had made. Not quite up to date. I now have a GTX 670 Asus DCUII. That's my old 580 in there. I also moved my case back down on the floor (ew dust); but wanted the space on my desk lol.

But as you can see I have no rear fan installed. I've never felt the need for it. I swapped my PSU around to exhaust from inside the case because it whines a tiny bit. And it bothered me when it was on my desk. So I swapped it around (making the top vent/filter pointless). But otherwise the air is just all one direction really.

View attachment 114991

Thanks for the info. I fixed my sig so it's current. I haven't checked the size of my PSU yet. I didn't think there would be an issue w/the optical drive and the PSU. This is my first mATX build.:-/

When you dropped both drives at the bottom, how did the SSD stay in place? Was it on the bottom of the case, meaning in contact w/the floor of the case itself?

I was advised to put the PSU in first, then DVD drive, assemble the rest on the removable tray, put the tray in, and install the video card last after the mobo tray is in the case. It's a tight fit evidently from what i have seen on the net. I didn't realize it was going to be so tight.

Any suggestions, much appreciated!

The TJ08-E has an SSD mount. Has 4 screw mounts UNDER the case for the SSD. =). It was screwed in. You gotta put the SSD in before the 3.5 bay. (Well; you could do it the other way; but its easier this way XD).

Take off the side panels/top panel and put the PSU in via the top. I'd put the optical drive in early to see how it sits; and if you need to adjust it (say; put it in the second slot). To be honest; I've never utilized the removable tray :p. I just threw in my board into the system with HDD cage and such out. =D. Video card is definitely last.

That X650 I believe is 160mm long. I'll check that... NOW. "W150 x L160 x H86 mm"

Correct. Should fit fine. But in order to avoid over bending the modular cables (I used an Antec HCG 520 once too for a friends build in the TJ08-E, which is also 160mm, I moved the optical drive to second slot. I found I had to bend the cables a little too hard for my liking keeping the optical drive in the top slot. My personal rig; the HX 650 is a 150mm PSU. So it's less of an issue for me. ^^

The TJ08-E has an SSD mount. Has 4 screw mounts UNDER the case for the SSD. =). It was screwed in. You gotta put the SSD in before the 3.5 bay. (Well; you could do it the other way; but its easier this way XD).

Take off the side panels/top panel and put the PSU in via the top. I'd put the optical drive in early to see how it sits; and if you need to adjust it (say; put it in the second slot). To be honest; I've never utilized the removable tray :p. I just threw in my board into the system with HDD cage and such out. =D. Video card is definitely last.

That X650 I believe is 160mm long. I'll check that... NOW. "W150 x L160 x H86 mm"

Correct. Should fit fine. But in order to avoid over bending the modular cables (I used an Antec HCG 520 once too for a friends build in the TJ08-E, which is also 160mm, I moved the optical drive to second slot. I found I had to bend the cables a little too hard for my liking keeping the optical drive in the top slot. My personal rig; the HX 650 is a 150mm PSU. So it's less of an issue for me. ^^

Thanks for those tips!! I hope my DVD will fit because I waited months for a good deal on it hahaha.

If the HDD cage is removed, can the support for the video card still be used?

I'll put the SSD where you recommend. Curious, I know a SSD will fit in the top 5 1/4 slot, but regarding cables, will it work up there too in case I want to put another one in?

You never used the tray, interesting, that's always one of the things people like in a nice case! I know in my old rig I wish I had that.

Seeing as we have the same board, are there any settings in the BIOS you would recommend changing during set up? I know you have to make sure the SATA mode selection is set correctly (my SSD will have the OS on it)- but aside from that are there any features of the board that have glitches and you found better if they were turned off? I had to do that with some features of my old ASUS board many years ago.

Thanks again for your help!

How can the support be used if there is no cage? Not sure how that's not obvious haha. The support IS the HDD cage. :p

It'll fit if you use an adapter sure; the SSD. Some 5.25 bay adapters allow for like 2-4 2.5 drives.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=272&area=en

Is what I use. Can fit 2 SSDs + 1 HDD; or 2 SSDs + 3.5 bay device (Like my fan controller).

The Sata mode should be AHCI by default for this board. But double check. Also update your bios straight off. The stock bios it ships with assuming an earlier batch is older. Newer bios versions definitely increase OC efficiency.

Otherwise; not really many settings. It's more fun if you play yourself anyway :p. For reference though I run my 2500k at 4.5ghz with 1.275v with LLC on very high (75%), with all intels power saving features still on, etc.

Be aware; anything to do with the 5.25 bays is a challenge. A lot of devices will be a fairly tight fit; or cause PSU cable issues, etc. Be patient with the case; it's required otherwise you'll find yourself stripping internal paint (I swear I haven't.... Ahem...) etc etc. :p

How can the support be used if there is no cage? Not sure how that's not obvious haha. The support IS the HDD cage. :p

It'll fit if you use an adapter sure; the SSD. Some 5.25 bay adapters allow for like 2-4 2.5 drives.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=272&area=en

Is what I use. Can fit 2 SSDs + 1 HDD; or 2 SSDs + 3.5 bay device (Like my fan controller).

The Sata mode should be AHCI by default for this board. But double check. Also update your bios straight off. The stock bios it ships with assuming an earlier batch is older. Newer bios versions definitely increase OC efficiency.

Otherwise; not really many settings. It's more fun if you play yourself anyway :p. For reference though I run my 2500k at 4.5ghz with 1.275v with LLC on very high (75%), with all intels power saving features still on, etc.

Be aware; anything to do with the 5.25 bays is a challenge. A lot of devices will be a fairly tight fit; or cause PSU cable issues, etc. Be patient with the case; it's required otherwise you'll find yourself stripping internal paint (I swear I haven't.... Ahem...) etc etc. :p

Oh the cage is? Crap for some reason I was mixed up. I thought there was something else for support.

Hmm would I be better off getting that adapter and dropping the drives in that, so I could still use the HDD cage as support?

If you're going to keep the HDD cage in; use it. If you're taking it out; use the adapter. I see little reason to keep the HDD cage IN and not actually put drives in it lol.

Back