• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recent issue with OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

A while back with the help of Trents and others, I got my 980BE to 4.1 gig. Recently I started playing Diablo 3 and randomly my computer would crash. I would get a blue screen and a message " A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor......". I thought it might be a vid card issue or maybe memory. It turned out the CPU OC was causing the crash. I went down to 4.0 gig and the issue never happened again. I decided to go back to 4.1 gig but raised the vcore from 1.475 to 1.4875v. No more problems. Let me say that at 4.1 and 1.475v everything passed Prime95 when I initially did the OC back in April. After I raised the vcore to 1.4875v, I ran Prime95 for about an hour and it passed just fine. Funny thing is my core temps are now actually lower by about 2-4C from the initial OC. On the intial OC my temps would run 54-56C but now run about 50-52C. Any ideas why I had to raise the vcore and why the temps dropped a little?

POtentially degredation, but I doubt that... you state you RECENTLY started playing D3 (assuming you didnt play it before) and its crashing. Maybe it wasnt stable enough for D3?

Also, 2C can easily be explained by different ambient temps.

Call it degradation or not but my experience is that with almost every computer I have overclocked, the original Prime95 stable voltage needed to be upped after a few weeks or months and I never overvolt past 1.55 vcore max under load, including LLC. But then it will typically be stable for a long time, unless I do something like update the bios which usually requires recalibration of the overclock settings.

Back