• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommendation for motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a motherboard. I mostly need one that I can get good benching results with, while on a budget. I have been doing a little benching and would like to do more, but the motherboard that I have has no voltage adjustment.
My budget right now doesn't allow for a top end board and ddr3. So I am looking for something 785 or 790x (I think). I currently have an A2 X3 435 (unlockable) and an am2+ opteron with ddr2 memory.
Cheaper is better because it would be a temporary board as I am saving for a upper end am3 board with good ddr3. But the board would be eventually sold or given boinc duty. Any recommendations?

Thanks......

Last edited:
Not familiar with "A2 435". Google didn't turn up anything to do with motherboards when I type in that string.

But the main question is, what technology of ram are you using now? I assume DDR2 but what speed?

I am currently using a 785G/710-based DDR2 board and I really like it.

What's your price ceiling for the board?

I have a few different sets of corsair ddr2 800 ram that I have been using. Athlon II X3 435 is the processor (edited 1st post for clarity). If anyone could suggest a good clocking board that is $80- $90 or less that clocks good. I have thought about getting faster DDR2 ram, but I have to decide where to draw the line and just go all out... If it is much more than that I would just wait and get a 890 board and DDR3.

I have a few different sets of corsair ddr2 800 ram that I have been using. Athlon II X3 435 is the processor (edited 1st post for clarity). If anyone could suggest a good clocking board that is $80- $90 or less that clocks good. I have thought about getting faster DDR2 ram, but I have to decide where to draw the line and just go all out... If it is much more than that I would just wait and get a 890 board and DDR3.

Sure like the one I just got described in my sig and it fits your budget.

I actually did get the same motherboard... was an open box on newegg. It looks like it will suit me for a while. Thanks for the recommendation....

I actually did get the same motherboard... was an open box on newegg. It looks like it will suit me for a while. Thanks for the recommendation....

Was it missing anything like I/O shield or driver install disks? That's what I always wonder about when I've considered open box mobos. Buying an open box CPU I wouldn't be as worried about as the only thing that could be missing is the cooler and I don't usually use the OEM puny coolers anyway.

i am always weary of the open box items. especially since the warranty is cut down. How was your experience

i am always weary of the open box items. especially since the warranty is cut down. How was your experience

I would be okay with CPUs open box because the fact is, most of those are returned these days because guys couldn't unlock cores. CPUs are pretty bullet-proof.

I would be okay with CPUs open box because the fact is, most of those are returned these days because guys couldn't unlock cores. CPUs are pretty bullet-proof.

Still would have to be a very good deal for me to buy open item. at least 30% off.

I got the motherboard (open box) and have been running it for a while. It was missing the driver cd, but I just downloaded everything that I needed from asrock. I am kind of disappointed in the o/c abilities. I can only get the HT ref up to 262. (my old board got quite a bit higher)

Overall it is a good board and have had no problems with it, although I won't be setting any record overclocks with it. I have another cpu on the way and I am looking forward to trying out the core unlocking.

Trents...
Do you know what the max HT ref you could get on your board ? I am gonna try to install a video card and see if that will allow it to get a little higher. Is there any other way to get the HT ref/fsb to go higher?

Still would have to be a very good deal for me to buy open item. at least 30% off.

I buy open box all the time. In college I managed a little computer store (mom and pop), anyways, 90% of your returned products are perfectly fine...just user ignorance or compatibility issues. I agree though, should be at least 30% off.

Back