• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation needed on new build, liquid or air cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Swiftech one is pretty nice, seen it at a CES private party. Gabe had one for demo. If I was building all new and just getting started, his rad/pump setup is what I would get. Makes for a very clean install.

Here's a pic that shows how I mounted my rad on the back of my Antec 900. I just got the longest machine screws I could find that would fit the rad fan holes, and a few nuts, 4 to go up against the case, and 4 to go up against the rad. That way, I could be sure that the bolts would only go in as far as I wanted them to, so that I wouldn't puncture the rad.

HPIM1729.jpg

Awesome setup, thanks so much for posting the pic! And Thanks Spawn for the link too, the pics are very helpful!

Here's a pic that shows how I mounted my rad on the back of my Antec 900. I just got the longest machine screws I could find that would fit the rad fan holes, and a few nuts, 4 to go up against the case, and 4 to go up against the rad. That way, I could be sure that the bolts would only go in as far as I wanted them to, so that I wouldn't puncture the rad.

HPIM1729.jpg

Question: It looks like your Rad fans are on the outside, meaning they are set to Pull. Is this correct? Is this the best configuration for fans on a radiator mounted on the back of a case?

Well yes and no, not a lot of difference, but there is some. You could read up on the push/pull pull and push and shrouds no shrouds here.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html

I like pull the best on my rads. In tests it's just fine, and they say a bit less noise. It also puts the fans behind the rad and in my situation it blows a bit of air over my stuff and the fans are farther away from my ears.

So, more common sense and whats best for you. The CFM of the fans make more difference than any pull or push arraingement.

In the picture above, I'd have pull. Don't want to push against the out case fan. Case wouldn't cool very well.

Makes sense, thanks for the linkage :) I'll read up on it! I like the Scythe fans you recommended (Gentle Typhoon 1850) they seem to be a solid choice to start with hehe

Ohh yea, once the tests/real science reviews came out you couldn't buy them they sold out so fast. When I got my email from Jabtech that 80 fans were in stock, the next day I ordered 6 and they had under 20 in stock.

Just cost quite a bit. Yate Loon meduims are still the king of CFM, Pressure, low noise and low cost. I used them a lot. But splurged on my last build.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Ohh yea, once the tests/real science reviews came out you couldn't buy them they sold out so fast. When I got my email from Jabtech that 80 fans were in stock, the next day I ordered 6 and they had under 20 in stock.

Just cost quite a bit. Yate Loon meduims are still the king of CFM, Pressure, low noise and low cost. I used them a lot. But splurged on my last build.

You should live canada :)
This site always them in stock and for cheap :)
GT 1850

Wow man, I read your rebuild cleaning thread and your setup is amazing! Love the detail in your write up. I have a couple of questions: What are KillCoil and PT Nuke-PHN? I plan to follow your recommendation and use only distilled water and these two items, can I get these from a hardware store or maybe online somewhere?

After reading your article and seeing the pics I understand what you meant by "pumps and tops" meaning the reservoir and the pump are essentialy one unit, looks good and makes sense! Did you fabricate your open air case yourself? Do you recommend using only the metal clamps?
I'll start taking pics of my build and post some as I progress, i'm really enjoying the research and I think the end result will be very satisfying!

Petras sells both. Awesome seller. Other sell it too, but it originates from Petra.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/ Use USPS shipping cheap.

The bottle last for years, you only need a few drops per liter. My largest loop is 1.5 liters. The killcoil is .999 silver. It releases silver ions. Stuff don't grow in it. You need one or the other, I like both.

The hose clamps are just fine, work well. No reason to buy expensive compression fittings even tho they are the cleanest looking. If barbs, I only suggest hose clamps. Maybe down the road you can try zip ties or something else. Not having leaks is paramount.

The tech station is from Italy. Banchetto. Jabtech sells them.

Question: It looks like your Rad fans are on the outside, meaning they are set to Pull. Is this correct? Is this the best configuration for fans on a radiator mounted on the back of a case?

Actually they are pushing, and the rear fan has since been flipped around to be an intake. The reason I have set them up like that is due to the limited room I had with the screws that I was able to find to mount the rad.

By the way, OP, I noticed your location is Bella Vista, AR. If I remember right, that is just outside of Bentonville? I used to live up in Fayetteville, and did a lot of partying on Dickson St. That was probably around 8 years ago, but my dad still lives in that area.

Actually they are pushing, and the rear fan has since been flipped around to be an intake. The reason I have set them up like that is due to the limited room I had with the screws that I was able to find to mount the rad.

By the way, OP, I noticed your location is Bella Vista, AR. If I remember right, that is just outside of Bentonville? I used to live up in Fayetteville, and did a lot of partying on Dickson St. That was probably around 8 years ago, but my dad still lives in that area.

Deadly, nice to meet another fellow NWA'er :) Yes Bella Vista is just north of Bentonville, and I too have spent some quality time down on Dickson street!
Very cool case Con, i've already commited to my Thermaltake Xaser but I'll definitely keep that style in mind for next round (in 2 years hehe)
:)
Thanks again for the info!

Here's where I'm at: need advice on Rad/Res

What do you guys think of the Swiftech MCR320 QP-Res Rad/Res combo?
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-MCR-320-QP-Res-Triple-Rad-with-integrated-reservoir-pr-4357.html

Was considering using this to avoid adding a separate Reservoir.. Any opinions here? Will it work just as well? Or is it a bad idea?
Also, opinions about using one pump to two rads (one big loop) bad idea? or will it work? I was thinking with the bigger 655 pump maybe it would work ok?Possible layout: Rad/Res -> pump -> GPU -> GPU -> Rad -> CPU -> back to Rad/Res... any thoughts? I'm flexible and i'm definitely wanting to plan this out clearly before I buy, all opinions / recommendations are appreciated :)

Here's where I'm at so far on parts:
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 Fans
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Swiftech Apogee XT block
1/2 ID 3/4 OD clear tubing
metal clamps
will use distilled water with NUKE added to it for coolant.
Undecided on GPU blocks, may not add this portion til later... but am thinking about it!

Still thinking about the radiator / reservoir situation though...
Thanks again :)

The Res/rad/pump combo is very nice. Very clean install. You should look at it for your setup. The res/rad combo is a good rad but it bleeds a bit worse than one with a regular res. Still once bled it's perfect. You'd be very happy with the res/rad or the res/rad/pump.
One pump to two rads is done a lot. LOL, you do know the MCP655 is actually weaker than the MCP355 with an aftermarket top like an XSPC one? Either pump would be fine

The Swiftech rad/pump combo has a DDC3.2 (MCP355) on it btw.

If your just doing the CPU/GPU/GPU one pump and two rads are fine. Any more can possibly add too much restriction to the flow rate. There is a bit in the FAQ above about flow rates.

Why not get colored Primochill hose? They have nice red, blue/green.

I have that radiator, as well as an MCR220 QP-res and truthfully, if I were buying over I would just get the regular rad and go with an aftermarket res or a res top on an MCP355 pump. Or go with the Swiftech MCR320-DRIVE-B - No Pump with an MCP355 if you want a truly integrated and space saving solution. I find that the QP-res rads to be kind of hard to bleed down and even worse, to get a suction started so that you can bleed everything down. Once you get the pump primed it isn't too bad, but getting the pump primed can be a bear. But with the pump mounted at the bottom of the rad like what I linked you would alleviate any bleeding/priming problems.

A cheaper alternative is to go with the regular MCR320-QP and use this XSPC reservoir top on an MCP355. I have that pump/top combo and it rocks for performance, priming and bleeding down.

I'm learning more new stuff today! I was wrong about the mcp655 i thought it was the higher end pump from swiftech, thanks for the correction man :) I plan to mount the rad to the back of the case and have the pump in the bottom of the case (radiator flowing to the pump)
From a cooling perspective do you know of any performance decrease by using the combo Rad/Res unit vs just a straight radiator?

Back