• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for a new 1151 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I am going to get either a 7600k or 7700k and therefore will need a new mobo. I plan to overclock, probably to around 4.8 Ghz. I've always viewed mobos as more or less all the same. Spending more money on a mobo does not increase FPS or make the computer faster, so I've always gone with something cheap. All I need are two PCI-E slots and support for DDR4 2400 with a good base for reliable overclocking of the CPU. Other than that everything else is fairly meaningless and I would rather save money. Suggestions?

Lots of good options here since the power draw of the Intel i5/i7 when overclocking is so much less than the AMD FX generation of CPUs. No need to spend 200+ to get a board that will stand up to overclocking the i5/i7 CPUs. Go for the Z270 chipset of course. Expect to put out $125 to $175, mid range prices that is. Look for something with a nice rebate, maybe. I personally prefer either Asus or ASRock as far as brands go and l like ASRock bios layouts better.

Lots of good options here since the power draw of the Intel i5/i7 when overclocking is so much less than the AMD FX generation of CPUs. No need to spend 200+ to get a board that will stand up to overclocking the i5/i7 CPUs. Go for the Z270 chipset of course. Expect to put out $125 to $175, mid range prices that is. Look for something with a nice rebate, maybe. I personally prefer either Asus or ASRock as far as brands go and l like ASRock bios layouts better.

I am thinking of the MSI Pro SLI Plus.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Intel-Cr...qid=1491033196&sr=1-1&keywords=1151+z270&th=1

One feature I would probably like is the ability to control all chassis fans from the motherboard. I really dislike loud computers so I typically prefer to have all fans in the system off when browsing the net, watching movies, ect. then turn them on when gaming. Modern computers stay cool enough when at idle that you really dont need any fans whatsoever under idle loads.

Then look for a board that has plenty of 4 pin PWM fan headers or use splitters. I personally don't like MSI boards as well as Asus or ASRock but they usually seem to be okay on the Intel side.

Then look for a board that has plenty of 4 pin PWM fan headers or use splitters.

One of the things I like about my case is the built in PWM splitter. I never have enough 4 pin headers on my motherboards. LOL

Back