• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations on NVME to PCI express 4x slot adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

long story short, the mobo i bought for my little computer may have 2 nvme slots but only one of them is PCIe 3.0 compatible and the other is just a sata III nvme slot and when i bought it some one had it listed wrong as 1x 3.0 nvme slot and 1x 2.0 nvme slot

as my goal was to have everything i could attached to the mobo on this build so now i need a adapter to use my nvme drive in a pcie slot so i can just use the thing.

any one have any luck with any of these?

The drive in question is a HP EX 920 512GB
Mobo is a Asrock B450m Pro4
I only need a single slot adapter as the only expansion left that will work is a 16x slot operating in 4x mode

Quick correction. M.2 does not = NVMe. M.2 can be NVMe or SATA. You have two M.2 slots one being SATA. Some M.2 slots can do both SATA and NVMe depending on the MB. Your MB is not one of those.

Looks like NVMe to PCIe x4 sell for about $14. I don't have any experience with one so I can't say one is better than another.

I have 2 cheap ones at around the price don256 stated and both work wonderfully. One of them has a fairly substantial heatsink on it that does help keep temps in check. I actually looked on my amazon purchase list and the one with the heatsink is branded as "Eluting" but they dont seems to be listed anymore.

I've got one of my older PCs running an M.2 NVMe on a riser card in an x4 slot, working perfectly for a couple of years now. The cards are pretty generic in nature, all do the same thing basically, and as above, get one with a heat sink.

oh dang ok,

i hadnt had any responses for a while so i ordered something when i got a 2.5inch SSD for my PS4 so it should be here soon. it looked to be decent quality
it didnt have a heatsink but it never got too hot when i used it in my main system before getting a bigger/faster one but if its a problem then i think i have one floating around some where around here.

I think that you'll be fine. The last time I looked into it, Heatsinks had pros and cons. While the memory likes to remove heat, the controllers like the heat. Go figure. I don't know what the curent state of the issue is or if it is only certain units.

uuugggghhhh!

i forgot that my videocard was a 2.5 slot cooler and it wont fit...
i might try and find one of the pci express extensions my uncle gave me from his folding rig and relocate it...

or i'll say eff it and get a m.2 SATA 3 drive and be done with it

Back