• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Recommended Nvidia GPU for AMD Deneb Phenom II 945 X4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wood Boss

Registered
Currently, I am OC my GTX 460 at roughly 850 MHz for the GPU Clock and 1850 for the Memory Clock. I plan on buying a new GPU later in the year after installing a Kingston DDR3 16 GB Kit 1333 MHz and a WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD.

My concern is bottlenecking a GPU with my CPU. I don't want to go overkill per 'se...run out and buy a GTX 680 when I could have bought a lesser card that has the same performance with my CPU. Does anyone know what's the best Nvidia GPU for my CPU?

I do plan on OC my CPU to at least 3.25-3.5GHz once I learn more about Overclocking. Please consider... Overclocked GPU's versus Stock Clocked GPU's when suggesting what GPU I should buy. Whatever GPU I buy, I do plan on Overclocking it or buying one that is an Overclocked Version.

I know this isn't really an answer but I ran my 580 with my PII 965 @ 3.9 and even with some of the newer DX11 titles like Crysis 2 and Batman Arkham city I never felt that my CPU was holding me back.
And welcome to the forum Wood Boss :welcome:

I know this isn't really an answer but I ran my 580 with my PII 965 @ 3.9 and even with some of the newer DX11 titles like Crysis 2 and Batman Arkham city I never felt that my CPU was holding me back.
And welcome to the forum Wood Boss :welcome:

+1 had a GTX 570 and a 965BE Phenom II and I could play any game, maybe not at max settings all the time but I never felt held back either.

To the OP, it depends on what you want from the system, If you want to play every new title at max settings and highest frame rate then yeah a GTX 680 or ATI 7970 is in order. My personal opinion if you want Nvidia then a GTX 660ti or a 670. ATI has a reallly great card in the 7950 that would do you really well. It's probably best bang for buck card out there right now.

Good luck, off to work I go, LOL

Kingston DDR3 16 GB Kit 1333 MHz
Wood Boss, I would go with a different brand of Ram, we have seen instances where Kingston ram doesn't play nice with the IMC on AMD cpu's.

Yeah GTX 660 is what I was kinda aiming for. I think a GTX 680 would be bottlenecked from my CPU. I know a few people who have a GTX 660 Ti and love that card. I see most GTX 660's from $200 to $300 depending on what version...default clock, superclocked, etc. Trying to get another year or so out of this machine, untill a new Generation of System Requirements come out for gaming. This is when I will go BIG on building a new machine. With the new Titan GPU and Crysis 3 coming out, I suspect this will happen in the near future.

As far as Kingston RAM...I was looking at their Hyper-X which is supposed to be more aimed at Gaiming and Performance. It's hard to find a 16 GB 1333 MHz Kit, any other suggestions of what brands I should check out? I've looked at G. Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, Wintec, and a few more, but no 16 GB 1333 MHz Kits.

I have a 955 oc @ 3.8g,and used with Evga GTX 460 & 560Ti.Using a Asus 24" monitor.Response Time=2 ms.The Monitor is the bottleneck if anything,as the highest fps tops @ 60.Game play and response time are excellent though,and @ 60 fps on ultra,I'm happy :)

Just bought a EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SIGNATURE2 2048MB GDDR5 to use with a FX 6300 oc @ 4.4g.This cpu does not have a problem,but I think the 955 might get bottlenecked using this card.

Base Clock: 1072 MHz
Boost Clock: 1137
Memory Clock: 6008 MHz
CUDA Cores: 960
2048 MB, 192 bit GDDR5

Last edited:
As far as Kingston RAM...I was looking at their Hyper-X which is supposed to be more aimed at Gaiming and Performance. It's hard to find a 16 GB 1333 MHz Kit, any other suggestions of what brands I should check out? I've looked at G. Skill, Corsair, Crucial, Patriot, Wintec, and a few more, but no 16 GB 1333 MHz Kits.
I have has success with Geil and Gskill on my 955be as well as my Fx 8350. Why do you need 16 gig and you could always purchase ddr3 1600 and run it at 1333 if your Cpu's imc cannot handle it. If you really need 16 gig are you going with 4x4 or 2x8, you'll be better served with 2x8 it will be less stress on the Cpu imc. As far as performance goes I doubt you'll notice the difference between the kingston or any of the other kits in real world gaming. Your best bet is to find a kit with low latencies. Where are you looking for ram, I found a bunch of kits at newegg.

If the Kingston ram is playing nice with the system then he might as well keep it but if when he starts to overclock it becomes unstable then I would certainly look at that component. Even so, the fact that its 1333 ram may become a bottleneck in the overclock. 1600 mhz ram would give more flexibility because he will need to use the FSB to overclock. The CPU is not a black edition.

I also wonder about that motherboard and if it will be up to much of an overclock.

I may be mistaken but I don't believe the OP has purchased the Kingston ram yet.

Yeah, after re-reading his first post you may be right. Kind of vague: " . . . after installing 16 gb of Kingston ram". Does he already own it but has not as of yet installed it?

I certainly agree with you Drake. If he hasn't purchased the ram yet he should not go with Kingston and he should move up to 1600 mhz ram. And it's a waste of money to go with 16 gb of ram unless he's heavy into Photoshop, AV rendering or CAD. Plus, that large amount of ram may hinder his CPU overclock due to the extra stress on the IMC.

I haven't purchased the RAM Kit yet. You guessed it trents...I run Virtual Machines and will eventually set my machine up for Photoshop so my wife can edit photos. Currently my VM's RAM are 2 GB and would like to up the RAM to 6 GB. Not to mention, I usually have a game running in the background in the Host Operating System along with music when I'm doing homework on my PC so I can tab out for a break from studying. But, I don't run a game with my VM running.

As far as types of RAM, checked with AMD and they told me my CPU will support up to 1333 Mhz. MSI told me my MOBO will be fine when I OC my CPU and this board takes up to 1600 MHz O.C. RAM. I've spoken with a couple manufacturers about their RAM. The problem is I'm finding their 1600 MHz isn't able to drop it's speed to less than 1600 MHz. The Kingston RAM I am looking at isn't the case. It's Nativee Speed is 1333 MHz along with it's Native Voltage being 1.5V. Otherwise this RAM Kit can O.C. to 1600 with a Voltage of 1.65V. Also, the Kits I'm looking at are usually 4x4 not 2x8 sticks.

I am concerned now about the Kingston RAM Kit I am considering after posts of OC issues with my CPU. I plan on OC my CPU to at least 3.25 GHz, but I am aiming for 3.5 to 3.7 GHz...we'll see when I get there.

I spoke with Nvidia...Dead-End! Now EVGA, this morning about what GPU they would recomend with my machine and it's CPU. The Technician told me he would put a GTX 650 or 650 Ti in my machine. He also said anything else would be overkill, thus bottlenecked.

So, I did some reasearch online and see that it will be a nice upgrade from a GTX 460. All benchtests I researched show the 460 only performing close to the 650 in games using AA, actually a little better in most cases. It's also safe to say an OC 460 performs almost as good as a 650 at default.

Now, the 650 Ti was the impressive card compared to my 460. Especially EVGA's SSC Version. It's a considerable upgrade according to benchests and reviews. These tests I researched showed results from the usuall games (Crysis II, BF3, FC3, Etc.) and from benchtesting software such as Heaven and 3D11Mark. The SSC Version seem to leave the 460 definately behind. Also, the SCC Version is a considerable increase compared to the 650 Default Version.

They say, whoever "they" is...that 25-30 fps is all we need. But, I like 40 fps for a baseline, and it seems the 650 Ti SCC will get me closer to that mark consistently. Whereas, the 460 and even the 650 Default Version would be more around the 25 to 30-ish consitently.

To my understanding the GTX 650 in general is a card best with resolutions such as mine, 1680X1050 and lower. Anything above that, the card will struggle. It's also nice to see this card ranges from $125 to $ 165 depending on what Version I buy. Right now my heart is set on the EVGA GTX 650 Ti SSC with it's massive clock speed compared to other 650's and not to mention I like EVGA. They are very friendly and helpful.

Feedback on this GPU direction would be appreciated along with more insight on if I really would have an issue with the Kingston RAM Kit I am considering. Thanks all for your input, and thanks Johan45 for the Forum Welcome.

All ram will run at any frequency equal to or less than its rated maximum speed. Anyone who told you other wise should not be working in the tech support industry. That's bologni!

Last edited:
That what I thought. I kept questioning the sales rep for Crucial and she took the time asking their Tech Support. They insisted I could not lower their 16 G Kit to 1333 MHz. It didn't make sense to me, so I said ok fine I'll go somewhere else.

BTW trents...LOL, I just realized we both live in the same town. I'm going to CCC for a degree in Computer Science Technology.

Is this a second career for you or are you just recently out of high school and preparing for your first career?

Second career...I'm in my 30's. Should have started in computers out of high school. My family is in the industry, guess I had to be different for awhile.

I'm in my early 60s. Lived here a little over 20 years. My son is an IT professional and works with Lewis Co. He's also on the city council. May we should get together sometime.

Do I know your family? What's the last name, if you don't mind me asking, or you could send me a PM.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with G. Skill about their RAM for my MOBO. I'll list both 16GB Kits here in case someone is ever looking for such a kit with the same MOBO.

2X8GB 1333 MHz Model#: F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL

4X4GB 1333 MHz Model#: F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL

So question is, which kit will be best...2X8 or 4X4? Mandrake 4565 mentioned 2x8 Kit.

Other than that, just looking for anyone who might have some insight on an EVGA Nvidia GTX 650 Ti SSC.

Back