• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refrigerated cooling revisited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First... Please edit your posts when you add more information instead of repeatedly replying.

Second... The heat output for a CPU and a GPU can be quite extreme, especially when overclocking. So your statement of just the opposite is absolutely incorrect.

You need to do a bit of reading before you continue to post misinformation my friend. :)

For a while, I had a 980x clocked at 4ghz, and a pair of GTX580s clocked at ~900mhz.
The GPUs were eating 300-340w each, and the CPU around 200w.
Is 800w extreme? Perhaps.

A deep freeze would fail, that theoretical 5000btu AC unit would not however, 5000btus is 1464 watts.

Okay. Use the cheaper alternatives. There are perhaps four bits that need cooled...

CPU
GPU
motherboard
Memory

The only way to do that efficiently is to put the motherboard and videocard(s) in a lower ambient temperature.

If you disagree with me you are just simply wrong.

The heat output of a solid cpu and tri-sli rig is outrageous! 700w is a lot, whether you think so or not. If you know anything about overclocking, you'll know that DICE is capable of keeping your temps around -40C, and LN2 is capable of cooling down to -200C.
Please. For the sake of sanity, stop this madness. It doesn't work. It's been tried. Repeatedly.

Most of you are wrong. If you want to really overclock you have to chill the motherboard, CPU, memory, and GPU. If you only put your beloved waterblocks on two or three of them your are wrong. And if you put your beloved waterblocks on all of them you have wasted a lot of time and money.

The idea that a freezer cannot equal the output of the rig is equally wrong. It depends on the output of the freezer. They come in all different outputs.

panic,

I have nothing against DICE. Go with it if it works.

I am also not trying to sell fridges for Frys or deep freezes for Lowes.

I am not saying that a 5000 BTU air conditioner or a 700 pound deep freeze is the best way to cool a quarter ounce computer chip.

Most of you are wrong. If you want to really overclock you have to chill the motherboard, CPU, memory, and GPU. If you only put your beloved waterblocks on two or three of them your are wrong. And if you put your beloved waterblocks on all of them you have wasted a lot of time and money.

The idea that a freezer cannot equal the output of the rig is equally wrong. It depends on the output of the freezer. They come in all different outputs.
Yet DICE and LN2 can STILL do a better job of cooling than your beloved freezer idea. Please. Let the thread die.

Bob,

The deep freeze would only fail if you were using your rig to the utmost all of the time. Are you using your rig to the utmost all of the time?

Memory does not not chilling except in truly extreme circumstances. Water cooling it makes absolutely no sense on ddr3.

DIce runs more like -78c.

You'll need a room sized freezer to deal with a decently powerful PC heatload. It's been thought of before.

EDIT:
Generally yes, my CPU and GPU are loaded to 50-100% at all times.

No one has even remotely hinted that lower temperatures are bad for overclocking. We said the refrigerators/freezers won't work. That isn't even close to the same thing.

While I don't mind discussing any topic, this is getting a bit ridiculous. Honestly, it really isn't even a discussion at this point.

I am not saying that a 5000 BTU air conditioner or a 700 pound deep freeze is the best way to cool a quarter ounce computer chip.

The biggest mistake you're making is ignoring facts and the real world. Freezers are simply not built to handle a continuous heat output. Air conditioners may be, and they could be used to cool the computer, but typical freezers aren't able to handle a 'quarter ounce computer chip' that happens to also put out 125W+ when heavily overclocked. Throw in a few overclocked GPUs and you are looking at hundreds of watts of heat that have to be continually cooled.

Simply put: a deep freezer bought at a store somewhere will work for a while until the continuous duty cycle it's running kills the compressor, at which point your computer will heat up and shutdown.

I understand you think you're right, but you aren't. There are many people on this forum who are very smart people and like has been said before, this has been discussed to death. Continuing to push it despite being shown the error of your ways is obvious trolling and you should stop.

Thank you dealmaster, couldn't have said that better myself.

OP, this...

...is just ridiculous. You came here touting an idea that will not work. You continue to harp on it, saying everyone is wrong but you, yet you have not tried this. Put Bobnova's two GTX580s and 980X, all overclocked into a freezer and it will fail, period. You're welcome to purchase the parts and try it yourself.

Talking about 'beloved' water blocks is getting you nowhere either. Really?

You are obviously beyond the point of speaking rationally about the topic based on things like you're saying above. If you want to actually TRY this, please do and come back to report your findings, complete with plenty of photos. If you want to continue harping on something that you have not tried and intend to argue about (without presenting any shred of evidence other than obstinate persistence) until you're blue in the face, please do so elsewhere.

This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back