• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinstalling windows 8 with new mobo/cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brentonius

Registered
so i recently made the mistake of talking with the microsoft chat people (still talking with them actually). they are pretty frustrating. i just bought an i7-3770k through intel's retail edge program, picked up an SSD pretty cheap from my job and im waiting on my motherboard hopefully this week. currently i have an fx-8120 with crosshair V formula motherboard. I have windows 8 installed on a regular harddrive.

so here's what i want to do:

-switch out motherboard/cpu for the new stuff
-add ssd and reinstall windows 8 pro onto it with the upgrade disc i have

i did pretty much this same thing when i upgraded to windows 7 (used an upgrade disc) from vista, upgraded from an old intel chip to the fx-8120.
the guy at microsoft is telling me that this is completely impossible. but i bought an upgrade version of windows 7 also and it worked then. i know it was the upgrade because i got the student discount on the microsoft site and they don't offer that for the oem version.

i'm thinking the guy was just trying to talk me into buying the full version of W8 since i've done it before. i'd really like to not pay for a full version of windows 8 since i bought the upgrade for it not more than a month ago.

There is absolutely no difference between the upgrade and the full version. You can perform a fresh install with the upgrade version. Simply select "Custom" as the installation option. :)

thats what i thought... i did the custom install when i upgraded last time so i could format everything... the thing i was gonna ask the microsoft dude before he told me that was impossible was to see if i can have my key that i used deactivated so that i can reuse it when i reinstall, or is that even necessary since its still kinda the same computer?

also do i have to do anything extra since im switching hardware when i reinstall? i cant remember what i did when i rebuilt and upgraded to 7

awesome, thanks for the help... hopefully i get my motherboard this week and get everything set up, im pretty excited to try out the i7 and ssd. havent ever had an ssd before :)

Back