• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing preinstalled Office trial in Win10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have two W7 rigs at the moment, and two W 10 rigs. I don't know which one I'll have to reinstall next, and with a 5 Mbps connection I don't want to sit around waiting for a 4 GB download. I prefer having a disc laying around to install on my schedule.

But once you get the USB installer built, you can have it laying around just like a disk. You have to download the ISO anyway and then you have to burn it. I don't see the diff.

I don't understand why M$ feels the need to micro manage my reinstall. They got my $140, now they can leave me alone to do it the way I want.

I don't understand why M$ feels the need to micro manage my reinstall. They got my $140, now they can leave me alone to do it the way I want.

I guess I'm missing something here. But once you get the USB installer made or the disk burned from ISO the installation options and the process are exactly the same. Have you actually tried using the Creator tool instead of the ISO?

But once you get the USB installer built, you can have it laying around just like a disk. You have to download the ISO anyway and then you have to burn it. I don't see the diff.

There is a difference... Even USB 2.0 is faster than a DVD-rom... USB 3.0 is going to be at least twice to five times faster...

I literally downloaded Win 10, installed, and updated a debloated OS in an hour thanks to all of these hardware advancements. I don't see a down side to USB install.

I don't see a down side to USB install.
My San Disk Cruzer flash drive isn't recognized as a flash drive. The tool sees it as a disk drive. San Disk claims they tried to meet some standard of Microsoft's and that caused it.

I don't understand why M$ feels the need to micro manage my reinstall.
Since it wasn't broken I fixed it back. :D Regardless, I can store an .iso of an OS and I'm old enough to want physical media for the price I paid to lease their software.

But once you get the USB installer made or the disk burned from ISO the installation options and the process are exactly the same. Have you actually tried using the Creator tool instead of the ISO?
Yup. I have had a lot of flash drives fail over the last dozen years or so, along with losing them. And, honestly, my mother used to say I have a problem with authority, and all the evidence gathered over the last half century points to her being correct.

I see your point in losing them. In fact, I just lost the drive I used to install Win 10. I suspect one of the cats thought it was a toy....

I've also had DVD media become scratched and unusable. I've even had the layers separate.

I've also had DVD media become scratched and unusable. I've even had the layers separate.

I'm going to throw in my $0.02 here...

I produce music for myself and others. While I have a large archive of stuff on an internal drive, being backed up weekly to an external drive, I also burn the completed songs to dvd and put them in a fire proof safe. I've lost too many drives (mechanically and physically) over the years to ever trust them absolutely. Like Alaric I burn all my important software installers to disc and toss them in a cd binder/spool. It's old school but the most permanent way I can ensure the media is there when I need it.

Over the many years I've been using burnable (and factory made pressed music/data) discs I've had very few failures, nearly all of them part of a bad batch of early production single layer blurays. I have burned music discs and installers going back 15+ years that are still error free/functional. I don't expect them to last forever, but we really don't know for sure they won't. The tech is still not old enough to be certain what happens to the discs. Only tests ever performed attempted to 'simulate' the aging process.

Back