• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repartitioning: I've killed it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fgf80

First, let me apologize for the rather blunt title, but that is essentially what I have done.

I partitioned very poorly as a result of grossly overestimating the amount of space to dedicate to each Linux distribution, and as a result I have a far smaller Windows partition than I should, and I cannot conceivably reallocate the unpartitioned space to Windows.

In an attempt to fix this, I booted into Linux and copied several of my larger games as well as the C:\Users folder over to the newly-made partition.

I replaced the actual folders with symbolic links.

Then, when I attempted to boot back into Windows, I was able to log in normally, but then it said "preparing your desktop," which was unexpected as my desktop is set up. When I got there, it presented me with a blank desktop, Windows Explorer was not running, and my data was gone.

I received the following error:
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Desktop refers to a location that does not exist

Since I merely copied it over to a different hard drive, I have not actually lost anything, and I know how to fix it. What I would like to do is make it so that it works how I have it (I will obviously have to use different methods, but you likely understand what I am trying to do).

Any suggestions?

I'm afraid I'll have to use the latter method, because those folders, all put together, take up all of 7GB.... something just occurred to me, though. I'll tell you how it turns out.

Edit: The method detailed near the bottom of that link is better than what I had in mind. Thanks.

Last edited:
Assuming that Windows was the original installation (occupying the inner most part of the drive cylinder), I believe the course of action to be a rather simple one.

Boot into linux and undo the links you made and put the files back. Boot into Windows and delete the partition immediately following the Windows root partition. Then, extend that volume to include the newly created unallocated space.

As I've said, I know how to put it back; I want to make it so it works like this. I'm just not marking it as resolved until I have successfully implemented the plan detailed in I.M.O.G.'s link in case it doesn't fix it.

My apologies

In that case, it would appear that I.M.O.G.'s post has some detailed walkthrough, but there is also a second half to that, updating the registry. There are two answers marked in his link and the second one is in regards to the registry and where the DWORD points to on the drive for the profile.

Back