• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing Side 230mm Fan w/ 4 x 120mm Fans on Cooler Master HAF Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MattMan657

Hey all. I've been considering replacing the side fan on my Cooler Master HAF Advanced case. The side fan is a 230 x 30mm x 1, 700RPM, 19dBA. This side fan can be replaced with four 120 x 25mm fans. I was wondering if it generally is considered to be better practice to replace big stock fans with multiple smaller? If I was to do this I would be replacing it with four very good fans.

Thanks in advance. So far the new build has been working great.

The big fan is surely going to be more quiet, but in all honest what's going to move more air? one huge *** fan or 4 nicely sized fans? the 4 nicely sized fans if you buy decent ones. i'd change them out, but make sure your motherboard has enough connectors.

I would probably connect the fans directly to the PSU to reduce the amount of power going through the mobo. I don't care if they are a little loud to be honest, its a gaming rig, not a HTPC for hifi audio where its gotta be dead silent. I'm already covered there.

I already have the top fan and front hard drive fan connected to the PSU. Do you think adding four 120mm fans to the PSU could cause any downstream effects? By that I mean, I eventually plan on getting another 680 for SLI and probably another SSD and/or HDD. With a 1200w PSU (Cooler Master SilentPro Gold), would this be a concern?

Why is my question. Im sure temps are in order already. LIke Darren said, the 4 smaller fans will likely be louder.. and if your temps are in order, whats the point to drop a couple C and spend $?

Personally, I would leave it as is assuming nothing requires more cooling.

that power supply is way over kill.... also, i would invest in a better water cooler before investing in those fans... Just my opinion...

Definitely is overkill, however whenever I build or plan anything I want it to be scaleable. In the near future, once I recoup some money I will be getting an additional 680 for SLI, additional hard drives, and who knows what else.

Not a fan of the H50? What would you recommend in its place?

650W is scalable... and would handle your 3770k and 2 680's. Let's do some math... :)

680 = 195W. 2*195 = 390W. I dont mention overclocking as even if you do, you wont break its TDP... I had a 680 clocked to alomst 1300Mhz core and 1800Mhz ram and barely broke 100%.
3770K = 77W. With overclocking to asy 4.5Ghz and not using the iGPU = maybe 110W.
SSD/Fans/Mobo/Ram etc = 40-50W

390 + 110 + 45= 545W. Right in the wheel house of a 650W PSU. And that is assuming both the GPUs and CPU is running 100% which doesnt happen in gaming anyway.

H80 or H100 for best results. The H50 is like a midrange air cooler. But hey, if it works it works for ya! Should still be able to hit 4.5Ghz with it.

You make a valid point sir! It works though so no harm no foul. I guess I wont need a different PSU for a long time.

Because this is a brand new build (my first btw), not even two weeks old, I have not begun to overclock it. I do plan on it so when I do break into the fun I'll see how my temps are handling. So far I haven't seen any problems with the H50 but that is w/o any overclocking.

I'm guessing in the event I do upgrade my H50, I can still use the same mounting hardware. Just swap the fan, reservoir and pump.

In perspective (as ED states), and from a comparative aspect, I use a 550w corsair with a 3570 @ 4.2 and 2x 560ti overclocked to hell and back. H90 cooler, the 3 stock 230mm fans on my haf + an extra 140mm on my h90 for push/pull and another 140mm sitting in my extra 5 1/4 bays as an additional intake. No issues with power.

But back on topic I've thought of doing exactly what you're asking in mine as well with 4x cougar 120mm. That's about 50 - 60 bucks for a couple degrees.

Probably not worth it

Edit: fwiw I'm probably pushing the envelope for what my psu can handle but again, no issues yet. It's due for an upgrade as well but till it dies... It's suitable

Ya'll are probably going to crap yourselves here...

3570K @ 4.5Ghz (1.2v) Running a stock GTX690 on a 560W PSU...:eek:. I peak a hair above 420W AT THE WALL (90% efficient PSU so around 375W).

and another 140mm sitting in my extra 5 1/4 bays as an additional intake. No issues with power.

Very cool, how do you mount the extra 140mm in the extra bays? I have the stock rear 140mm fan that was replaced with the H50's 120mm fan. I've been thinking about where I can use the 140.

Very cool, how do you mount the extra 140mm in the extra bays? I have the stock rear 140mm fan that was replaced with the H50's 120mm fan. I've been thinking about where I can use the 140.

Well I'm not sure how the bays are done on your advance vs my 932 but in mine where the 5 1/4 bays end and the hd bays start there is a thin sheet metal "deck". I just stand the fan up in there and push it all the way forward. It should be just the right size to be a semi-snug fit. Ill take a picture this evening.

Again I don't really care about noise. And my jet engine 560s are so loud I don't hear anything else.

Well I'm not sure how the bays are done on your advance vs my 932 but in mine where the 5 1/4 bays end and the hd bays start there is a thin sheet metal "deck". I just stand the fan up in there and push it all the way forward. It should be just the right size to be a semi-snug fit. Ill take a picture this evening.

Again I don't really care about noise. And my jet engine 560s are so loud I don't hear anything else.

Cool thanks. Does your 932 have the USB 3.0 slots in the bay second from the bottom?

Nope. Just the 2.0s at the top. As far as I know that's the only difference. But you could probably get an adapter and move your bay up

The Megaflow fans that come with Coolermaster cases are seen to be one of the best large fans. I can't really see the need to change it. What other fans are on the case and do how you have them as push and pull? Positive or Negative air pressure?

I have the HAF-X.

Case fans are all stock except for the rear fan. I pulled out the stock 140mm and put in the 120mm that comes with the Corsair H50. Forgive me I'm actually not familiar with the terms positive and negative air pressure.

I do know that the stock side, top, and front fans are 700-750rpm give or take.

Back