• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing Side 230mm Fan w/ 4 x 120mm Fans on Cooler Master HAF Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not talking about mounting the CPU block to the front plate on the CPU. I'm talking about the plate on the back of the mobo. One would assume that the screw threads would be the same, if they are, you could hypothetically use the same backplate from a different cooler.

EDIT: Nope doesn't look like you can. Doesn't use the same screw system, just watched a video on youtube. I'm pretty sure with my mobo I'd need to remove the entire mobo from the case so that may have just ruled out the H100i. Gotta open up the back panel of my case to take a look. If so, too bad. Long term that may have been a damn good solution.

EDIT AGAIN: Just watched another video lol, a Corsair official one and it showed up close how the screws for the front plate are screwed into the back plate. The screw threads look very similar. Hmmm.

Last edited:
HAF 932. It covers up a bit too much of the left side of the cpu area. MAYBE I could get into it but the adhesive backing would be a bit of a pain to get off.

I'm not too concerned with the backing when its time to take it off, but I just have zero desire to take the mobo out anytime soon. It really does look like you could use the rear plate for the H100i. Its just a matter of screwing something in.

I'm not too concerned with the backing when its time to take it off, but I just have zero desire to take the mobo out anytime soon. It really does look like you could use the rear plate for the H100i. Its just a matter of screwing something in.

Wait. You are a PC Hobbist and don't want to take the mobo out to improve the PC?

I know what hes talking about. In the HAF the CPU cutout that is supposed to allow you access to the socket to get a back plate on it is off center and 2 holes are covered up. It is a pretty big PITA.

The way I did it Matt was to unscrew the top set of screws holding the board to the stand offs and then pulled the board away enough to get the back plate in. I didnt use the little sticky pads that came with the cooler. I can see where you would have an issue though if you DID use the pads.

Just got off the phone with Corsair. They said the screw lengths are very different on the H100i and H50. Threads are probably the same, but that rules it out. H90 it will be.

Only concern is that there won't be enough space between the GPU and the radiator.

Don't order yet. Lol

I may may recant my good recommendation if my 3770k temps don't figure themselves out.

I think I need to reseat, though I am using some craptastic AS Ceramique 1

Not ordering yet, waiting for my tax return to get the better cooling + another 680. Hope your temps sort out. Grab some of that $6 Arctic Silver 5 from Newegg!

Last edited:
So i figured out what the issue was with my temps. Basically: definitely set it up as intake rather than exhaust. And make sure the hoses are at the bottom of the radiator and not the top. These units tend to have an air pocket at the top of the radiator, if the hoses are there you will suck air into the pump. bad news. I dropped 15c by going bottom hoses w/ intake fan set up.

Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

Figured out what fans I'm going to go with on the H90. Akasa Vipers, really high static pressure, less than $20 per fan. They get great reviews.
1600rpm max speed over the H90's stock 1500rpm, not a huge improvement.
26dBA noise while the H90's stock fan is 35dBA
3.12mm-H20 over the H90's stock 1.64mm-H20

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...type=Fans&type_sub=PWM Control&model=AK-FN063

God this tax return needs to come in soon. H90 + another GTX680 + new monitor.

So i figured out what the issue was with my temps. Basically: definitely set it up as intake rather than exhaust. And make sure the hoses are at the bottom of the radiator and not the top. These units tend to have an air pocket at the top of the radiator, if the hoses are there you will suck air into the pump. bad news. I dropped 15c by going bottom hoses w/ intake fan set up.

Hoses to the bottom actually traps more air. You did better by actually tilting the case as you learned more about watercooling in general? Became a better bump the pump bleeder? Not rushing it as much?

Am I correct?

Anyhoo, glad it's better for you, that's all that matters.

Hoses to the bottom actually traps more air. You did better by actually tilting the case as you learned more about watercooling in general? Became a better bump the pump bleeder? Not rushing it as much?

Am I correct?

Anyhoo, glad it's better for you, that's all that matters.

:confused::confused:
Dont know if youre trying to be sarcastic, seems that way. But no... I really know nothing about watercooling in general. But in reading about the issue i was having and asking a lot of questions regarding Corsair AiOs specifically it seems people have issues with the pumps with hoses located at the top of the radiator. There is a pocket of air, basically sitting level with the location of the hoses, causing the pump to suck that air in rather than suck water.

No idea what bump-the-pump bleeding is though... i can try to assume though!

Ohh a Corsair AIO. Basic no input needed then mount it and go.

Bump the pump is for custom WC. Not an issue with a set it and forget it AIO.

I should of read more about the thread before posting, sorry.

Back