• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

resistor color coding link ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weponhead

Hey guys i just busted open a relay cuz my dad and i wanted to know what was inside , and i was wondering if anyone knew what the color coding for resistors was or if you have a link ... it has 4 stripes , gold , red , tan , blue this is a resistor correct ? its got a blue casing it looks like the resistor illustrations i have seen... if anyone knows itd be cool to know relays and how they work is neat too , it changes the direction the current flows with a coil magnet

ok , so its a 6100 ohm resistor with a tolerance of 5% what does that come out to in something other than ohm's ? or can it?

Radio Shack sells this nice resistor color code sheet. It has wheels that you turn until you get the color that you need. Line up all the wheels and you can read the resistor value right off the card.

Plus, it only costs about a dollar.

i believe the tolerance of 5% means that the resistance can vary up or down 5%. this will depend on the temp of the components and such. the frequency of the current (if its AC. but i guess if it was AC, then it would be impedence, not resistance).

Crazy Jayhawk said:
Radio Shack sells this nice resistor color code sheet. It has wheels that you turn until you get the color that you need. Line up all the wheels and you can read the resistor value right off the card.

Saw that there once.. they only had a couple, and I didnt feel like spending $1 on it.. Its easier for me to remember them in my head, on the off chance that i need to figure one out.. =P

well theres a 15 amp fuse in the line so there are 15 amps with 6100 ohms of resistance what does this do for me?

if the fuse is 15 amps, then the max draw in the system at any given time must be less than 15 amps, or the fuse will blow. So lets say 12 amps for kicks (just a random guess) the basic electrical equation is V = I * R (voltage = current * resistance). so, if the 6100ohm resistor was the only on in the circuit, then the applied voltage would have to be (filling in the blanks-----
V = 12 * 6100). this give you 73200 volts. if all 12 amps were running through the resistor, then that is how much voltage would have to be applied. that is probably not the case, but i dont know what this relay is for. if you have a multimeter, you can touch the leads to either side of the resistor while the circuit is on, and see what the voltage is. anyway, if 12 amps is applied to a little resistor, it would burn up in no time. as in instantly. i dont know how much that helped you, but feel free to ask any other questions you have. i will do my best to help you. and if i dont know, the guy across the hall is pretty good with circuits :D .

Crazy Jayhawk said:

This one is free:D

Back