• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Post! Heat Sensitive Color Changing Computer Case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fine, you talked me into it. ;) My main case is kinda jankey at this point in time.

I have some work stuff this week that gets in my way.. But moving my current setup to this case will be a good excuse to upgrade to that new 8 core amd cpu that's been sitting on my desk for a few weeks. I'm running gforce 550ti. I bet if I slapped my older 9800GTX into the case it would definitely change color then. That thing sounded like a hair drier when it kicked on and could easily heat my room. HA.

Take your time. I am quite curious to see what it looks like real world... instead of hammering the front with a heat gun. :)

I couldn't wait. Last night I made the switch. I will post pictures in a few hours. I'm having issues with 2 of my harddrives causing my machine to blue screen on boot. I must have plugged them into the wrong ports. I was able to disable them for now. I used a tool called open Hardware Monitor to get temps as I did things. With my 8 core AMD FX8350, Gforce 550Ti, 16 gigs of ram, 2 internal fans, and 2 fans on the CPU heat sync.. My case at idle is 32C.. Color change happens at 86F or 30C. After 30 minutes of l4d2 game play, the case turns a nice silver. It wasn't splochy, but a full color change. I'm quite happy with the results, and my new case. ;)

Nice! Glad it worked! Not sure it would work for me.. At idle, my intake and exhaust temperature difference is only ~3C (23C ambient temps, intake is 23.3 and exhaust is 26C - fans on low). I hit 30C after hours of gaming (but that is the exhaust not intake temperature - so that is curious how the whole case turned silver......)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think this case has the best air flow. This case has ports on the back if you wanted to do water cooling. There is no way in hell I would do water cooling in this case. My other case was a bit roomier, and easier to work with it. This one is a little scrunched. I also have 2 SSDs, 3 HDs, 4 sticks of ram, gforce 550ti, cooler master cpu heat sink with 2 fans, and 2 internal case fans.

With that said.. I'm REALLY glad I switched over to this new case. It looks super pimp in my room, color at rest, and color when heated up looks awesome. Its like a brand new computer with out a brand new computer. This HOK blue pearl really sets it off.

I'm gonna power off here in a minute and see if I can figure out why my 3 hds keep causing a blue screen. Once I get that fixed, I'll post the pictures I took of the swap over and heat up.

Glad the color change is solid! Can't wait for pictures of the full change!

Depending on the time it takes to change, a time lapse video would probably be pretty killer.

So after moving everything over I couldn't figure out why things kept blue screening on me so I decided to do a fresh reload. But having to go to vegas for work got in the way. I finally got my machine up and running yesterday. I have some pictures and I'll do a time lapse video of it.

Its crazy because the color change starts on top of the case over the power supply and forms a triangle towards the front of the case before fully filling out and turning silver. In the front of the case, below the DVD Drive is sorta does the same thing. The underside of the MB under the CPU changes the quickest. Its pretty awesome seeing the hot spots on the underside of the motherboard.

I know, I know.. took me a few days to get these up.. but here ya go. =)

Here is my old case.. It's some old antec case. It was nicely built, but its about 6 years old at this point..

computer0021.jpg

Insides of my old case..

computer0022.jpg

Door that broke off.. =\

computer0023.jpg

Just handling the new case you can see the color change with my hand prints.

computer0024.jpg

New CPU..

computer0025.jpg

installed..

computer0026.jpg

New case all back together..

computer0027.jpg

Old case..

computer0028.jpg

Powered on.. Turning a nice silver..

computer0029.jpg

And the front heating up..

computer0030.jpg

At this point my machine cratered on me. I had to step back from it because I went to Vegas for work.. But today I was able to get a decent video of the color change.. Lighting sucks.. But you get the idea. Its about an hour of footage sped up to 20 seconds.

Thanks for following along.. Hope you enjoyed my little project.

Contra, you from SATX? I actually live in Austin.

After the cold snap we've had recently, I'm getting the itch to paint some new stuff. I have a few motor cycle helmets I'll be working on.. but I'm looking to paint a new case. I'd like to get a larger case and one with side mounting hard drive bays. I really like the look of this case, but I have to much stuff in it and I want one with more room.

Once I get a new case painted I'll post it up, and put this one in the for sale section at a pretty discounted rate because its now used.

I'm looking to do a complete marble paintjob on the next one. Black Base with Silver Marble.. Something like like this.

1853-MB01-BC25.jpg

But a slight hint of blue kandy and blue pearl.

Back