• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Post! Heat Sensitive Color Changing Computer Case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kdh

Registered
I swear I'm not a spammer. Just excited to share this creative mod that I did this weekend. I've posted it on a few of the other forums I'm on and have gotten a pretty good response. Hope you guys dig it as well.

A few weeks ago, there was a link to a youtube video where some folks painted a car with some color changing paint. I really liked the idea, and wanted to mess with the concept. Messed with a few test pieces, and then decided to pull the trigger. Before I go any further.. I'm not really a case modder. I usually buy barebones cases for my needs. By day I'm a SAN admin. By night, a dnb dj, and paint gun terrorist.

I went to Frys on Friday and picked up this case for about 35$ with tax.

computer0001.jpg

Unboxed.

computer0002.jpg

Unboxed

computer0003.jpg

Tore it down, and took a perfectly good case and scuffed it up with some 600 grit paper. No turning back now. :D

computer0004.jpg

Front shot.

computer0005.jpg

Mixed up my basecoat. I used a 2 Oz of Nissan Metallic Silver, 2 Oz of Honda Accord Metallic Blue and 4oz of reducer. SpiesHecker for those that might want to know.

Here it is in the cup.

computer0008.jpg

oh.. You want to see a video of the color being mixed?

I sealed the case with a black sealer, and then based on the case with the mixture above. The only way to describe the color at this point is blue steel. (zoolander would be proud). The lighting doesn't really show the color at this point.

computer0009.jpg

I tried to do a technic called Marbling. I didn't get any pictures of it. I used a white pearl mixture. It didn't come out as bright as I wanted. But there is definitely some white pearl on the case over the base coat at this point. Next I needed to intercoat the marbling. I had some Black to clear color changing pigment. It turns clear at 84 degrees. I mixed a bunch of it with 4oz of just straight binder and HOK Blue Pearl to make it fancy. It ended up turning the case a gun metal color. Wish I got a shot of the that mixing. was very pretty looking.

computer0010.jpg

After that.. I cleared the case with 6 layers of Chroma Clear. I got a decent amount of orange peal, but my shop temp was a little cool for the activator I was using. Nothing some wet sanding cant fix. I just finished the clear in these shots.. So there is a bit of clear coat mist in the air.

computer0011.jpg

Another.

computer0012.jpg

Another.

computer0015.jpg

At that point I left it alone. And came back the next day.. Took it outside and took some outside shots in the sun.. Very gunmetal looking and that blue pearl looks amazing.

computer0016.jpg

Another shot.

computer0017.jpg

Oh, so does it change color or not? Lets find out.. I took the case back inside.. and took a shot of the front bezel. No color change.

computer0019.jpg

Added some heat and Oh look! It does..

computer0020.jpg

But WAIT! There is more! How about a video?

Then murphy's law struck. When putting the case back into my truck, the shocks holding up my lift gate glass suddenly let go and dropped on my head and my case chipping the paint.. =\

computer0018.jpg

There is a fair amount of orange peal in the case, but nothing that can't be wet sanded out. I'll do something about the damaged paint chip. I'm giving the case a few days to further cure.. Then I'm going to try out my new Trizact 1500,3000, and 5000 grit paper on my detail DA sander. Then I plan to hit with my high speed buffer with 3m cutting compounds. That should beat that orange peel into smooth glass.

Anyway the idea here is 1. Can it be done. Yep, I did it. 2. A color changing computer case would be a great indication if your machine is running hot or maybe over heating. I think this would be a great idea for most of you guys running with extreme overclocks. You'll visually see your hot spots in your case.

Let me know your thoughts. I actually don't have any use for this case. I got it on a whim so I'm definitely willing to sell it. Make an offer and its yours.

Anyway, let me know if you thinks its cool, lame, stupid, awesome, or neat but just not for me?

Edit.. I searched the forum looking for people who have painted a case or looking for help.. If you need help with paint, I will also do my best to help you. =)

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I actually liked doing the case a lot. I painted my truck over the summer. It was quite a task. Doing the case I knocked it out in about 11 hours or so and I was pretty happy with the results.

That's some pretty awesome work, keep the pics coming.

This is cool as hell! Not something I would do, but cool!

Also, does the meager heat of a PC actually change these colors as opposed to a heat gun which is of course a ton warmer than a PC?

This is cool as hell! Not something I would do, but cool!

Also, does the meager heat of a PC actually change these colors as opposed to a heat gun which is of course a ton warmer than a PC?

color shift happens at 86 degrees. When I was pulling the masking tape off my hand on the case caused the color to shift.

I know my system at home definitely puts out some heat when I'm playing left 4 dead 2. I would think the case wouldn't completely change but get splotchy.. Maybe? I only used the heat gun to speed up the color shift.

I actually have been working on some iphone cases, and they shift color when holding them which is pretty cool.

but who is dj kdh !

I've been a dj for about 13 years, I also run this site:

Links removed

and its chat channel

We do live video and audio feeds from time to time.

We are in the process of redoing the site.. It needs some help. My role with the site is I do all the sysadmin type stuff. I also wrote the audio / video streaming system we use. I'm all over the place with my hobbies. I work in IT doing SAN and EMC work, and my wife and I have zero desire to have kids. So between my wife, the cats, my 2 custom trucks, the dj work, my job, shooting automotive paint, fiberglass work, and friends, I keep real busy.

Just lately, I've been obsessed with shooting paint on different things. :attn:

I'd like to sell this case and move onto the next project.. Someone make an offer. A friend picked up a PS4 last night and he wants me to shoot it chrome with black paint. So as it heats up, it goes from a shinny black to chrome. I said as long as he takes it apart, and gives me the pieces, I'll do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
color shift happens at 86 degrees. When I was pulling the masking tape off my hand on the case caused the color to shift.

I know my system at home definitely puts out some heat when I'm playing left 4 dead 2. I would think the case wouldn't completely change but get splotchy.. Maybe? I only used the heat gun to speed up the color shift.

I actually have been working on some iphone cases, and they shift color when holding them which is pretty cool.
Im sure some areas would reach 86F and be splotchy as you said. I would like to see what it looks like with a computer heat load inside of it. I have no idea what would or would not change colors. In fact, outside of the exhaust areas, I don't imagine to see much at all...

Anyway, let's see it with a PC heat load on it and what it looks like then. :) :thup:

Man, that's a nice paint job!

Thanks!

There is a bit of orange peel in the case, you can see it via the photos.. but I have my new trizact sanding system I'm going to use on it and my new detail DA sander. If the case doesn't sell, I'll hit it with some 1500, 2000, and 3000, then cut and buff it with my high speed buffer. It'll be different then buffing a car, that's for sure. I'll have to some how strap the case down when I buff it so it doesn't take a dive and hit the floor.

Im sure some areas would reach 86F and be splotchy as you said. I would like to see what it looks like with a computer heat load inside of it. I have no idea what would or would not change colors. In fact, outside of the exhaust areas, I don't imagine to see much at all...

Anyway, let's see it with a PC heat load on it and what it looks like then. :) :thup:

I used a lot of HOK products, SpiesHecker Base Coat, and Chroma Clear which is some pretty high end stuff. Actually Chroma Clear is awesome stuff. I got it for my truck because it has awesome uv protection, which is needed here in texas. Honestly the case at rest looks pretty bad *** as it. The blue pearl I threw into the mid coat really sets it off. I wouldn't be surprised if the case turned all Rorschach with the right system in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the links mate. I'm in georgia but i frequent tx sometimes may have to get out there to hear ya

If you know someone who's looking for a case, I'll let this case go stupid cheap. Purely just to cover my materials and half of the shipping. I paid 35$ for the case and I have another 90 in materials. I used a lot of HOK products, SpiesHecker Base Coat, and Chroma Clear which is some pretty high end stuff. Actually Chroma Clear is awesome stuff. I got it for my truck because it has awesome uv protection, which is needed here in texas. Honestly the case at rest looks pretty bad *** as it. The blue pearl I threw into the mid coat really sets it off. I wouldn't be surprised if the case turned all Rorschach with the right system in it.

KDH,

We need to have a little talk.

1. No selling outside the Classifieds on OC Forums

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/announcement.php?f=62&a=64

2. Self-Promoting links are not allowed either.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

You need to take some time to read these links. Posts edited.

RT

Sorry about that. I got a nice note from a member letting me know and I just came back into the thread to edit my post out. ;)

thanks for the links mate. I'm in georgia but i frequent tx sometimes may have to get out there to hear ya

Austin is a very cool city. After I got out of the navy 13 years ago, I came here to visit and never left. We actually have a long running Tuesday night here for drum and bass. Some nights are good some are so so. Depends on what is going on. Let me know when you come into town, and I'd be more then happy give you the inside scoop on all cool things there is to do. To bad you are not here now. The new circuit of the Americas track is doing F1 races this weekend. I was in Atlanta back in January for work installing about 140tbs of storage. I wasn't there long, but I liked what I saw and the people were very nice.

I wasn't there long, but I liked what I saw and the people were very nice.

I love atlanta and if you are also into rock I know some pretty good underground rock halls not many edm freind in atl. so not sure where the clubs are at haha. but atl is def. the place to be If you are ever coming back through atl. I'll give you a tour, and ill def. give you a pm if i'm coming through austin anytime soon

I used a lot of HOK products, SpiesHecker Base Coat, and Chroma Clear which is some pretty high end stuff. Actually Chroma Clear is awesome stuff. I got it for my truck because it has awesome uv protection, which is needed here in texas. Honestly the case at rest looks pretty bad *** as it. The blue pearl I threw into the mid coat really sets it off. I wouldn't be surprised if the case turned all Rorschach with the right system in it.
That is what I and anyone that would buy this in any capacity, would want to see. :D

For some reason I am skeptical that unless the case has poor airflow or is under load for a while, it may not reach 86F. I mean heck, my 'case' temp only goes up by a few (3-5C) after hours of gaming. Now those with warmer ambients will see more as there is less of a difference. But...... just want to see what it would look like with a PC heat load on it is all. :thup:

Back