• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resolution for this blue screen? What is the likely to be the problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onenine90

Registered
I don't know where this thread belongs, but my ASUS N61J laptop shows up with the below screen after I login every time:
2wqrk7q.jpg

It eventually restarts and gives me the choice to boot it in Safe Mode (but out of the 5 times i've booted it in Safe Mode, it's only logged in twice successfully). Even when it did log in, it only took a minute or two of use until it resorted back to a blue screen with errors.

It happened out of nowhere; from memory I had Firefox, Vuze and Photoshop And Microsfot Expression/FrontPage opened.

Just as I was typing this, it successfully loaded in normal mode (it took quite a while to load the desktop), but after 20 seconds went back to the blue screen and then restarted.

I've also tried to use Startup repair, but no success. Also the system restore and system image recovery (all via the ASUS disks/ulity disc given) but turns out I must not have had the featured turned on :(

It's so frustrating as I haven't even had it for 6 months and it will be another 4 days until I will be able to call ASUS technical support (they're not open during the weekend and im working the other two days during the times that they're opened). Can anybody help me in the meantime?

Last edited:
System specs please. Also make sure and remove power from computer first then remove all but one stick of ram hook power back up and try booting like that, if it does not boot up then change the RAM with another stick and try again.

Or run memtest first which ever is easier for you to try.

If the problem is always iastor.sys, that file belongs to many Intel hard drive chipset controllers. Could be a corrupt file, or the controller itself that is faulty, or the hard drive (Raid?) is failing.

Can you boot using a LiveCD in a OS like Linux? That would be a quick and easy way to see if its any other hardware causing problems or not, since a Linux LiveCD would not require any access (read or writes) to the hard drives.

Thanks for the replies..
No I remember once in Safe Mode it had NFTS or something, instead of iatsor.sys..
So I got Linux running and am currently backing up all my stuff.. How can I check if it's the hardware that's the problem?

Last edited:
When booting up hit F8 right after the bios finishes loading until you get some a boot option menu, and try to roll back Windows to a previous day/week and see if that solves the problem. I just had to do the same to my sisters laptop which just stopped booting into Vista (it was blue screening on load both normal and Safemode and immediately restarting, so I couldn't even see what the blue screen message was).

help

hello : friend
i had the same problem with my asus computer and then i had bough it only 4 months
the first you can disable your computer to restart automatically :

click to > control Panel and after > System and Security > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery -> Settings -> please tick off Turn on the computer automatically ....i think now fine work my computer after disable it

and you can click to this bage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Screen_of_Death
for find more Information about its problem and
i will be happy to hellp you Do not worry :)

Back