• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restart/Shutdown infinite loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

Hi guys again I have odd issue with my machine which is connected to my external usb WIFI far as I can tell how? I will try to explain best I can.
So I am browsing internet doing regular stuff while all of the sudden Wifi device decides to just die reconnecting it wont work none of the settings stuff worked either.
So well I decided to restart my pc, first few times no loop nothing and the wifi device started working like nothing happend. Day later it just loops forcing me to reset it on case button it begins to work again. Now I tried different USB ports no luck tried different adapter nothing... Whenever this happens same loop repeats itself I am lost. Chipset of both devices is RTL8187 so there are not that many drivers for windows 10. Can someone help out whats the deal?

Edit: I noticed at times when shutting down Error message would popup for like half of second I think 33 something but not always leads me to believe one of drivers might be problematic. PC would just shut down as it should

Last edited:
Have you tried a different USB port or updating drivers?

I would guess a flaky port - or the adapter itself.

I had a USB cable that caused my machine to restart and/or not power on.

Didn't see the part about using different USB ports...sorry.

Do you have a separate USB hub you can run it through?

I believe it might be the drivers just downloaded "win 10 version" of it. They are not intended to work on win8 or 10 only xp and 7.... Soooo I have to make test run for one week or two. I don't use any type of hub since I have plenty of ports on the back of mobo and three in the front.
Another thing I know about those devices is that they tend to just simply brake, even damn drivers just simply stop working overtime. Must love Chinese crap....
I am just wondering what was plugged into that cable that you were using when your issues started?

EDIT: I noticed odd behavior in past when connecting it to 3.1 USB signal would be amazing for some time and later would spaz out. I am sure as hell that
cable is 2.0 supported meaning it cannot pull more power from 3.1 or 3.0.

USB 3.1 theoretically should be backwardly compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0. Having said that, USB 3.1 is not a mature technology yet and will likely be buggy.

There is no point in using 3.0 or 3.1 if connected device and cable don't support it, device and cable will act same as they were plugged into 2.0, as you said it can only be bugy.
After this update it seems to me that device is working way better no disconnects so far or any major problems.
If problem reapers I will post it here.

And it happend again.... Device disconnected and cant reconnect only difference is that wifi scan is there but working like crap. I think device is going to **** your thoughts guys? I will try with Alpha and hope that isn't something wrong with my pc

Edit: Another thing I haven't noticed before that when I plug it into 3.1 its just reseting itself all the time port works fine with everything else. And I
have found this on pic it seems that device is deleting itself all the time and reinstalling wtf... Alfa also misbehaves but nothing like old one cant rly use it since wifi source is out of reach for it.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
You think maybe your external usb WIFI could be crapping out? Anyway to test this in another machine to rule it out? I had the same issue with a WIFI card. Found out the card was dying a slow death. Replaced card and everything back to normal.

Yea its high possibility that it is. I don't see any other way to test it tnx on suggestion.

So you don't have another computer you could try the suspect USB WiFi adapter in? Do you have a different Wifi adapter that uses a different chip?

I can tell you that poorly written usb wifi drivers can cause deterioration of performance over time in connection speed and cause connection instability problems as well. I'm guessing it's due to memory leaks of some kind. I've noticed that wifi chip manufacturers will sometimes abandon a chip line that presents compatibility issues with new operating systems. Apparently, these issues can't always be corrected by writing a new driver for the old wifi chip and they have to change the hardware too.

Sadly chip-set on Alfa is the same. Drivers are eating crap since I got it, if I knew they are this bad I would go with another one for sure. I could "borrow" adapter to a friend to test it.

That one is not gonna cut it. I need stronger one and external antenna to mount on TV antenna pole, looking for large tubed directional/omni antenna. I have to look around what else people use that have good power output and range coverage.

How far away is the WiFi router that you receive your signal from?

Its about 250-200 meters away range itself isn't the problem hill is and trees are. Right now I am using Kasens G9000 considering range it covers it almost perfectly but I have all other issues stated above. Repeaters tend to brake connection too much I have no clue why

Wow, that's a pretty far distance for wifi. At that rate, why not run a fiber CAT5e or CAT6 cable the majority of the length, and connect it to a wifi router? Or just directly into your computer, bypassing the need for an adapter. I don't know how much outdoor conduit is, but I can't imagine it plus the cable would be more expensive than the kind of hardware you'd need for a reliable wireless connection for that distance.

Also, that PSU for your system... I've never heard of Fortron, so I don't know what kind of quaility it is, but 400w is very close to the bare minimum for that system at stock. Overclocked, I'm betting you're pushing that thing pretty hard. I'd wager some of your USB woes are due to it.

Fortron is FSP. ;)

It is an acceptable budget unit according to JG, but I agree with you, it's not enough for the system it's in.

Last edited:
That much cable? xD no way friend tried for about 15 meters and it broke trough 2 houses only, part that broke was outside at least we think there were no physical signs though. Plus that would be too expensive.
I might try to revert it back, everything is possible. I thought about it but ended up with "Meh no way"

Edit: Reseted it to defaults now time to test it. I noticed many USB options on motherboard what those could be all are turned on.

Last edited:
That might work too... If it wasn't trying to go through obstructions. That's something I haven't seen though, and pretty cool too Alaric! Thank you for sharing.

Back