• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retired gamer looking to come back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok its probably been a good 2 years since I've built any type of gaming rig, and I have seen there is a bunch of new stuff I have never heard of lol... So after doing a "little" bit of homework I figure I would throw it out there and see what you guys think. I won't be purchasing this stuff for probably a few months, so it'll be changing a little bit as I find comparable stuff used here on the forums.

Anyways here we go!

Antec 300 case
i5 2400 Sandy Bridge
Asus P8H67-V (rev 3.0) Motherboard
Asus GTX 560 1gb Video Card
Gskill Ripjaw 4x4gb DDR3
Corsair 600w CX600 PSU
Seagate Barracuda 250gb 6gb/s SATA Drive

I have been debating if I should get a small (60~ish gig) SSD drive for the OS, and the games I plan on playing. I am sure the video card is complete over kill for what I plan on playing, but having head room is never a bad thing.

I am hoping to build a silent PC, that is my main goal. I already have numerous super quiet 120mm Denki fans ready to go!

I assume you don't plan on overclocking at all per your CPU and mobo choices? (not picking a 'k' model CPU and h67 doesn't OC).

16gb of ram is way overkill in my opinion. 4 is generally plenty but I can see someone getting 8gb if they want a ton of room, 16 is too much unless you are running some high-end rendering applications or virtual machines.

Also, gamers don't retire until they are 6ft under! (unless you are saying you are a gamer who is retired from working, then nevermind :p)

No I will be running 100% stock clock speeds. And retired as in I haven't played a PC game in years lol. Only reason I went with 16gb of ram is because the stuff is just so damn cheap. $100 for 16gb is insane... I remember when a gig of BH5 DDR1 ram was $150!

Also another reason I went with that much is because the MMO I will be playing will have 2-3 clients running simultaneously. 8gb would be enough for that, but I don't want any slow downs while I have Ventrillo, and whatever mp3 program in the background going.

Older games and no overclock. And it seems like you're justified in the 16GB of RAM, then, well, this looks like a pretty good build to me. Maybe get a 500GB WD Cavair Black, just for a faster HDD.

No I will be running 100% stock clock speeds. And retired as in I haven't played a PC game in years lol. Only reason I went with 16gb of ram is because the stuff is just so damn cheap. $100 for 16gb is insane... I remember when a gig of BH5 DDR1 ram was $150!

Also another reason I went with that much is because the MMO I will be playing will have 2-3 clients running simultaneously. 8gb would be enough for that, but I don't want any slow downs while I have Ventrillo, and whatever mp3 program in the background going.

retired gamer, my arse. The problem with games in the last few years is that there arent very many good games out. This will change later in the year. you can always overclock later on down the road when you need it.

Back