• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revamp and upgrade: old school style

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yippee! I saw it run at 5.5 gig... briefly... for maybe 25 seconds... long enough to get this...

CPU-Z 7740X 5500 MHz briefly.jpg

And yes, I'm rounding the last digit up. ;)

Looks good man, if your board can take it why not crank it up. You've admitted yourself that chip wont be in the board very long so you might as well make the most of it.

LOL... you're a bad influence, Sentential. Yes, I'm confident this motherboard can handle it... it's the best of any I've ever had... but that don't mean I'll recklessly risk my new 7740X just to get a max screenshot... well... anymore than I already have... ;) Not unless someone triple dog dares me. ;)

However... I might add that I still have my chiller set up from benchmarking days. I could certainly chase a max OC screenshot, but I doubt 5.5 will ever be stable enough to do much benchmarking. Now, 5.4 gig might be possible with chilled water and 1.5v (I did get Super Pi to run with 1.4v at 5.4 gig). Except for that one time blast at 1.5v to get 5.5 gig long enough for a screenie, 1.4v was the most I used during my overclocking attempts.

Thanks for helping me build an awesome computer. I did have one thing go bad. One of the LED bulbs burned out on a fan. Hope that's not an omen...

EDIT: I've been throwing out big vcore numbers, so I thought maybe I should list my personal voltage guidelines for this current generation of Intel processors.

Standard, normal, average, run of the mill, typical, ordinary air cooling: stay at default voltage
Enhanced air cooling (better case ventilation and better CPU cooler: default to about 1.15v
OC Forums style air cooling, lots of air moving in the modded case and a big azz CPU cooler: up to 1.25v
Watercooled, assuming a good quality custom loop (not a wimpy AIO): up to 1.35v
OC Forums style watercooling: maybe up to 1.40v
Supercooled and/or willing to toast your CPU or pop a cap on a MB: above 1.45v

Last edited:
LOL... you're a bad influence, Sentential. Yes, I'm confident this motherboard can handle it... it's the best of any I've ever had... but that don't mean I'll recklessly risk my new 7740X just to get a max screenshot... well... anymore than I already have... ;) Not unless someone triple dog dares me. ;)

However... I might add that I still have my chiller set up from benchmarking days. I could certainly chase a max OC screenshot, but I doubt 5.5 will ever be stable enough to do much benchmarking. Now, 5.4 gig might be possible with chilled water and 1.5v (I did get Super Pi to run with 1.4v at 5.4 gig). Except for that one time blast at 1.5v to get 5.5 gig long enough for a screenie, 1.4v was the most I used during my overclocking attempts.

Thanks for helping me build an awesome computer. I did have one thing go bad. One of the LED bulbs burned out on a fan. Hope that's not an omen...

If you can keep it cool I'd go for it why not, glad it's worked out

Just had a brainstorm. Seems like I remember reading that when these Kaby Lake seem to hit a point where no amount of extra voltage makes them respond, that it's often because of the crappy TIM coverage under the IHS. I might need to spend some time searching the forum about delidding.

Just had a brainstorm. Seems like I remember reading that when these Kaby Lake seem to hit a point where no amount of extra voltage makes them respond, that it's often because of the crappy TIM coverage under the IHS. I might need to spend some time searching the forum about delidding.

Normally will cause high temps or specifically split temps between the cores. If you aren't running excessively high or have high split between them it's probably a lost cause. If you want to do it for the hell of it, then go buy some conductonaut and knock yourself out.

Yep, you're right about the temp. Just spent the last hour reading about delidding here and at other forums... gasp. When delidding made a big positive difference, there were always abnormally high temps prior to the "surgery." I'm good with 5.0 GHz 24/7. I might mention again, all of my overclocking was done with all 4 cores running, not just a single core like some do to get a high OC. When I run IntelBurnTest, max CPU load temp I've seen is 54 C with current OC. Some of the ones that delidded had temps above 80 in some cases.

Last edited:
I didn't delid mine for that same reason. I think I may have the coolest (temp wise) chip here. My idles are low 20's and stress testing temps (XTU/P95/Aida) are mid 40's running 5.0Ghz with 1.3v, so delidding wasn't necessary in my case. If I needed to delid, Earthdog or S_I_N would have loaned me the tool needed.

Which CPUs were the first to have that IHS? That must have been the Pentium 4 line. I took a couple of those off manually. You had to be real careful. I have a delid tool, but not sure it will fit socket 2066 CPUs like mine, they're bigger than your 7700K. I looked this CPU over carefully with a 10X loupe (magnifier) and the IHS looks well sealed all the way around the whole IHS. Think I'll leave well enough alone and maybe start looking for a bargain priced i9 (yeah right) or wait to see if the upcoming Coffee Lake will be made in the X-series and by some miracle don't require a new chipset.

I just looked on HWbot to see what other people with watercooling are getting for overclocks on this 7740X and to my shock (unless I'm not looking at it right) if I submitted my computer even at 5.2 it would be #5 in the world. No, that can't be right, unless nobody reports results there anymore.

Back