• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revamping HP Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CinemaCut

I was wondering if my idea at cost cutting was anyway worthwhile. I have an HP Pavilion P6230y, I picked up a few years ago and have used for some minor video editing. I'm looking at a larger upgrade but hoping to do it in stages.

What do you guys think, Would I be able to swap out the Motherboard and CPU on this computer, keeping the old tower. Something to utilize the Intel i7 Ivy Bridge 3770k.
Then later on upgrade to SSD bootdrive.
Then to Geforce 570 VideoCards

Is this practical?
Will this board even physically fit into this tower?

Thanks,

IMO you should abandon the HP case right off the bat if you are set on an Intel system. The HP case will most likely only fit a microATX motherboard. Assuming you want to overclock your Ivy Bridge, you'll want a full ATX mobo because most mATX boards are bad overclockers.

You will need a new power supply to support the power demands of the GTX 570. Keep that in mind when making budget plans.

Another option is just get a better AMD CPU, like this one. SSD, PSU and GTX570 upgrades could all be done with this system.

Your HP spec...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4006071#N163
And motherboard...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4006071

Thanks JLK, The upgrade sounds potentially very good, but I have to weigh the benefits of i7 with the costs. I'd like to do more demanding editing. Recently I've purchased a nice AVCHD DSLR and the current system is just not cutting. The AVCHD files murder the system. An upgraded Cpu, then upgrading the software to cs6 and gt570 which grabs the cuda enhancment boosting the complete system's power. The i7 maybe the best way to go.

I've been looking into it further, if I wanted to replace the board and keep the tower I would infact require a MicroATX board, which isn't a deal breaker to me. I'm really not all that interested in overclocking either. I'm glad that using the same tower isn't a deal breaker, hopefully they don't have some sort of screwy screw arrangement.

hopefully they don't have some sort of screwy screw arrangement.

Usually they do and the screws for the board won't line up and also you won't be able to use a ATX PSU because the screws wont line up, you probably will have to do allot of drilling and cutting and the wiring for the power switch, it's cheaper in time just to get a new case.

There is another problem you can run into with a non-HP mobo in an HP. Some of their cases have a single mobo connector for the front panel (pwr button, pwr led, hdd led, reset, case spkr). If your case has this single connector I can assure you it won't work with your new Intel (or any non-HP) motherboard.

MicroATX is a universal standard, but uATX or flexATX tells you it is most likely proprietary. I know some HP mobo's are Asus boards with a custom HP BIOS (there's a LA added to the end of the Asus model #), and those meet the mATX or ATX standard. Not sure who made this board for them though.

Last edited:
Oh ok, I guess it's not a big deal either tho, I'll just buy a new case and move the other parts over. Towers are cheap enough.

Oh ok, I guess it's not a big deal either tho, I'll just buy a new case and move the other parts over. Towers are cheap enough.

Yep good choice, I was feeling cheap a while back and fit a new motherboard/cpu into a Dell insprion 530 case it is was way more work than it was worth, ended up having to cut the front header connectors and solder on universal ones to match a regular motherboard, among other problems...

Back