• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ripping your TV Series to the computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you used handbrake, re-run it on the original file with a "higher" quality setting (higher = more compression). Other options are to reduce the resolution or compress the audio stream.

oh thought the "Higher" quality setting would mean that it would end up being a bigger file size. Thanks I'll give that a try! :)

What did you have it set to? 20 is suggested for DVD and 22 for Bluray.

What did you have it set to? 20 is suggested for DVD and 22 for Bluray.

I'm not sure can't remember and just got to work so will check in my lunch break.
I've been using DVDShrink to rip my shows .VOB because the MakeMKV website is down and the other programs are weird and confusing a little.

It's set on 20...so guess ill try it with it lower...

Edit; Doing them on 25 .. Home Improvement can't really tell the difference in the quality. So thanks guys! :)

Last edited:
MakeMKV was down for maintenance around this week. The program ain't going nowhere.

Speaking of DVDFab, I've tried that program. And, honestly, compared to MakeMKV + Handbrake, it's not worth it. There's no native DVDFab for Linux, and paying $45 for something that MakeMKV + Handbrake + a list that tells you which file is the movie can do for free, is completely not worth it.

MakeMKV was down for maintenance around this week. The program ain't going nowhere.

Speaking of DVDFab, I've tried that program. And, honestly, compared to MakeMKV + Handbrake, it's not worth it. There's no native DVDFab for Linux, and paying $45 for something that MakeMKV + Handbrake + a list that tells you which file is the movie can do for free, is completely not worth it.

Agreed $45 is pretty steep for that program. MakeMKV is good for my uses now.

- DVD Shrink
- Handbreak
- Bulk Rename Utility

seem to work fine with ripping,compressing and renaming :) takes about an hour to do a season (5 discs) :) can't complain.

Might put in my 2nd DVD Drive ... would it be efficient to do that on 4gig of ram or not?

Back