• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RM850 died, bad PSU or not enough Amps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want to keep it, by all means, the thing with those calculators and mfg references is that they are simply over exaggerated so that you don't run into general issues with not having enough to power the system. Your system as a whole will probably be pulling about half of what that new power supply can supply.

Sticking with quality units keeps away issues that would be shown in an off-brand 500watt psu only being able to output 300watt and so on.

Ok Thanks Sobe! I just was passing on information that I saw and was/am looking for understanding. My build was up and running besides the TDR errors and then power supply crapped out on me. Ends up both MB and Power supply was bad.....do you think the Power supply going bad jacked the mother board? As I took my system back apart I really paid a bunch of attrition to how it was put together and didn't find I made any mistakes during the original install, so maybe just got a bad PSU or MB either way RMA'ed them both.

So at this point I believe the Power supply was the issue the whole time and it was what crapped out the MB...
Me too... but it was a bad PSU, not that it didn't have enough wattage and amperage...Keep it, that is your choice, but don't keep solely for the reason of you thinking that 850W wasn't enough.. it was PLENTY.

It is possible it took out other parts. With it being a quality PSU though, the chance of that happening is a lot less with a quality PSU like you had... but it can happen.

Again...

CPU = 91W (stock at MAX)
GPU = 145W (stock at MAX) * 2 = 290W
100W for board, fans, SSD, HDD, etc...

= less than 500W.

The 970's have a power limit on them so even if you overclock those, on the stock bios, it can only use so much power before it throttles itself to be under the limit. That is usually 10-15%. Add 15% to 145 = ~167W. *2 = 334W. If you overclock the CPU, you are looking at 125W or so... say 150 for giggles. So let's add it up again...

334W + 150W + say 125W for the rest of things... = 609W.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.....once I get it all back from the RMA and put back together I'll let yall know how it turns out

Back