• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ROG vs Sabertooth boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swampdonkey

Does anyone else feel that the Sabertooth boards are kind of lacking that special edge that they used to have. The ROG boards use just as good if not better components that the Saber Z97 Mark 1. The Maximus 6/7 Formula pretty much has the same thermal armor as the Saber boards minus those pos little fans they include. They also have gobbled up the back plate and the ESD gaurds leaving the Saber boards with nothing other than their temp probes and tan look. In addition to that the ROG boards get the upgraded network software, 5 way optimization, better audio components, built in power/reset buttons, debug LED, and their KeyBot software. Just sayin there doesnt seem to be a reason to get a high end Saber board over something like a Maximus Hero. What do you guys think?

I haven't seen much reason for a sabertooth board ever really, so I'm not suspended by it unless you like the way it looks.

I wouldn't get anything besides a Z97X-UD3H, UD5H, or Z97 Extreme6 personally.
Anything else is a waste of money unless you're going sub-zero.

Sabertooth never had an edge to me, unless that edge was gimmicks. Not a fan of the armor, nor a fan of how the armor looks. It has a 5 year warranty though. So if that is the reason to (IMO) overpay for what it is, then its a good buy.

The ROG boards are mostly made for extreme overclocking. Unless you plan on going sub-zero, one can easily run a much cheaper ($) board and not bat an eye...

on the amd side the sabertooth is the bang for the buck way to go but, am3+ is dead anyway.

Sabertooth you're paying a lot of money for a warranty you won't need and may have a hell of a time trying to use (see sig link on Asus warranty service). How many motherboards have you actually used for 3 years? If a board with solid caps makes it to 3 years odds are it will do 6 just fine as well, if you don't specifically kill it.

ROG you're paying through the nose for extreme cooling (-78°c or lower or forget it) extreme overclocking (not anything even close to 24/7 clocks) features. Plus some completely useless "gaming" features, and some almost entirely useless "audiophile" features.
If you are going into extreme cooling extreme overclocking benchmarking, then some of the ROG boards are good choices. Sabertooth less so. Actually Sabertooth not at all.

Personally I'll go Gigabyte. They have real warranty service, and plenty of features for me at a price that doesn't make my wallet set itself on fire in protest.

Back