• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rookie budget HTPC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pauliedanger

Hello everyone. First post, and I'm hoping to get some advice on a HTPC build I'm working on.

I've swapped parts in computers before, but this will be my first soup to nuts build, so I want to make sure I won't be running into any unnecessary surprises.

The goal is for the pc to be under $700 (before rebates) and be 3D ready.

I'm staying in the 1TB HDD range, but will probably add one or two external HDD's as needed.

I'll be using it mostly to watched stored videos and playing games off an emulator, but I'll also be using it for live TV.

I want to use Unbuntu, I've never used any Linux platform before. Will probably use Mythbuntu for the front end.

This is what I'm looking at buying. If you see any issues, or things that I obviously missed. By all means.

Mobo: MSI H61MU $75
CPU: i3-2100 dual-core $120
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB $49
HDD: HGST 1TB 7200RPM $100
Case: Apevia X-Qpack w/ 420w PSU $80
CPU Cooler: Zalman $45
DVD drive: Liteon $17 (I'll be using my PS3 for the rare BluRay disc)
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV $65
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse $40
Other: Media Center LCD screen (5.25" bay)

I'm also getting a tool set since I haven't worked on a desktop in a while (I've been a laptop guy for a couple years now).

My questions, if you've gotten this far are:
Is there anything else I need to get (cables, thermal compound, or whatever)?
Are there any equivalent but cheaper parts that I can get to shave some money?

Thanks.

Looks good overall, and the tv card has linux support in the kernel. My only real concern is that that PSU that comes in the case might not be the best. Do you know what model and brand the psu is?

Also I think you can get a hdd cheaper, if you go with a refurbed drive.

Can you live without the LCD Screen thing? If you can, I can make that build significantly smaller if you can. And cheaper. :)

Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
I do want to keep the LCD screen. I'm like a small bird, I like shiny things like windows and lights and junk like that.

But your build might be a good birthday present for mom. She's been toying with the idea of giving up cable for a while.

How about this? Case looks like a receiver, perfect for sitting next to your TV. Case/different LCD screen are made to work together and are both from the same company of the original LCD screen you picked.

Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 11.27.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 11.27.43 AM.png

I appreciate it, but that's the case/look I want. I just want to make sure all the parts are going to play well with each other, and I'm not missing anything.

Gotcha :thup:. Just make sure to look for combo deals, and I'd REALLY recommend against using the PSU. As long as it's ATX spec, you should be able to just switch it out with something of decent quality.

Knufire, I have to give you a high 5. I took a second look at your screengrabs and saw the rebates.

Ended up with a Zalman Z9 case, CoolerMaster 500W PSU, and a 2TB HDD, and faster & cheaper CPU for roughly the same price, and then with instant rebates, I got free shipping+ a couple bucks.

Also had a couple bucks sitting in my PayPal account doing nothing...so discount? lol.

Going to research Linux OS's to make sure Ubuntu is the solution I want. Tomorrow on the way home from work, I'm going to pick up a couple beers for the UPS guy, because walking up 3 floors with all that **** is going to suck for him.

Damn. That's disappointing. I'm trying to contact them, found a PSU with better reviews, if I can't swap it before the order ships, I'll roll the dice.

What PSU?

There are only a few websites that actually do quality PSU reviews...a lot of them are BS. Hardwaresecrets.com, Jonnyguru.com, HardOCP.com, and our own in-house reviews from Bobnova are are the only ones I really trust.\

Out of those four...nothing matches the quality of the reviews that Jonnyguru and OklahomaWolf do over at Jonnyguru.com.

Back