• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosie RAC Harvest V2! Status Thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, the 'safe' max temperature for a Q9400 is 70C, right?

Time to break out that W/C loop I was meaning to set up... Unless I cook first.

That's going to be one hell of a RAC monster....

*note to self
SAVE UP FOR SR2!
Be sure to check out our SR-2 reference build, link in sig. :D
It'll include the performance numbers that this harvest event produces. :thup:

So, the 'safe' max temperature for a Q9400 is 70C, right?

Time to break out that W/C loop I was meaning to set up... Unless I cook first.
70c, 80c, what's the difference really?? :p
Just don't cook yourself...please...we need your numbers..er...I mean you! :)

I'll keep an eye on it then...might have to swap out the 4GB set for the 8GB set...

But, we are getting there! :thup:

Edit: You were right -- I updated the config to allow 90% RAM use, and ... well see the second attachment :D

This thread makes me very happy! :) hehe.

MORE POWAH!!!!!

I stopped folding on my 950 while on a 77000 points wu to get on this. I will prolly leave some on folding when this is done and prolly leave some on this asl well

Ultimately, this is the real goal of these contests. Last year we ended up with some valuable new additions after the contest ended and our RAC year on year has increased substantially. Very much appreciated dejo.

Already over 100K RAC! DAMN! That's some kick *** crunching team!

Code:
[SIZE="3"]
[B][COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Contest Start:[/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Current:[/COLOR]  [COLOR="Lime"]101,538[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]RAC Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]9th[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Total Points-Contest:[/COLOR]  
[COLOR="Yellow"]Total Points-Current:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]55,482,299[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Points Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]23rd[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Updated: [COLOR="Lime"]27-Oct-10[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/B][/SIZE]

In other news, congrats to PolRoger for breaking 20K RAC and passing the 2Million Point mark! That's friggin amazing! Thanks for the big boost man!

Now where's Pixie at!???

Last edited:
Look at these guys?!! It's like they're trying to run away from us!

Code:
[COLOR="Yellow"]Rank    Team                    RAC     Points[/COLOR]
21 	Ars Technica 	   547 	48,323 	60,641,037 	
22 	UK BOINC Team 	   931 	90,703 	57,168,310 	
[COLOR="Cyan"]23 	Overclockers.com   242 101,538  55,482,299[/COLOR]

Looks like a Race to me.... A RACE TO THE TOP20!!!!!!!

As of now, there's a new contest goal: To beat UK BOINC Team to the Top20. If we do, I'm throwing another $75 prize into the pot. I'm gonna go put that on the board right now.

It won't be easy though, we still need ~1.7Mil to catch them and we only have 10K RAC advantage(for now ;) ). They need 92.47 days at their current rate to break the top 20, and we need 155.44 days at our current rate to pass them. We're going to have to close that gap and build a RAC of ~180-190K quick, which means we're REALLY going to have to turn it on!

CRUNCH TEAM CRUNCH!!!!!!!

It won't be easy though, we still need ~1.7Mil to catch them and we only have 10K RAC advantage(for now ;) ).​

It's very easy, actually -- just have to talk sfu into changing his 20x i7-930 folders over to Rosetta for this contest. ;) :p He's very competitive, too...

I'll send him a PM, you never know. :thup:
Edit: PM Sent! :D

Edit2: Here is a small example of his setup...

Last edited:
I switched 2 more units over, but not sure why they arent making points, will have to stop by the shop this morning.

the other 2 units were functioning, just got longer runs than what I had seen on the 950. I walked in the door and they are finishing up. so they are making rac, and I am happy

Holy sweet jeesus. Yes Jmtyra, we need that guy! hehe thx.

Glad you got things sorted dejo, thx for the extra Powah!
We gained another 3K RAC overnight which is just where we need to be. I was hoping to be at or around 120K by the start of the contest, and it looks like we'll be close.

Great job everyone!

PS: Any of our F@H brothers seen Pixie lately? I was going to drop a PM but I forgot.
She usually stops by for our contests for a little short term power crunching!

sure seems nice to have a forum coming together for some fun. well done gentlemen

1st unit running

Rizo-uk

Go make it official, head over to the Sign Up Thread and register.
Appreciate the help, thx mate!

sure seems nice to have a forum coming together for some fun. well done gentlemen

Yes it does, doesn't it. OCF most definitely rocks! :)

EDIT: Almost forgot!

Here's a snapshot of how we're doing so far!

Code:
[SIZE="3"]
[B][COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-15-Oct-10: [COLOR="Lime"]78,548[/COLOR][/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Contest Start:[/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team RAC-Current:[/COLOR]  [COLOR="Lime"]105,783[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]RAC Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]9th[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-15-Oct-10:[COLOR="Lime"] 54,180,794[/COLOR][/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-Contest:[/COLOR]  
[COLOR="Yellow"]Team Total Points-Current:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]55,622,642[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Yellow"]Points Position:[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]23rd[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Yellow"]Updated: [COLOR="Lime"]28-Oct-10[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/B][/SIZE]

Last edited:
Goodness gracious, my ambient room temp went from 72F to 85F. :chair:

Could someone quickly summarize how RAC works? My total credits for two days is 4,568, but 'average' is 413? Is it the average over a week? 10 days?

Taken from the BOINC Wiki:

Recent average credit

To calculate the useful amount of work provided by a computer, a special calculation called Recent Average Credit (RAC) is used. This calculation is designed to estimate the number of credits a computer, user, and team will accumulate on an average day. Due to the many variables not taken into account including the inconsistency of host processing, time it takes to validate work units, discrepancies in benchmarks, and possible project down time, the RAC calculation proves to be only a guide. Additionally RAC is independent of computers, users, and teams, meaning they cannot be simply added up. RAC was originally meant to help scientists understand the computational power available to them and to increase competition among users by allowing even new users to quickly move up in rank based on RAC, which should directly reflect how fast work is being processed.

Taken from BOINC FAQ:

RAC stands for Recent Average Credit.

It's the average of credit you earned (your ID, your computer, your team) of the period of time, since you started earning credit. You can compare it to your car:
Credit is like the odometer. This rises every time you get credit granted.
RAC is like the speedometer. It rises and falls with recent and past credit grants.

When you quit running the project, your RAC for that project will decay every week by being divided in half.

Or this LINK is the RAC section of the Unofficial BOINC Wiki and seems to have the most comprehensive coverage of the topic.

PS: I got all of this in ~5 minutes by typing "How is BOINC RAC Calculated" in to Google.:rolleyes::chair::santa:

And yes, it takes 2-3Wks for RAC to stabilize assuming you just let a PC run 24/7 and don't mess with it.

Last edited:
Back