• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ruined INTEL pins, using screws ok??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woboy

Put together an mATX case (Rosewill Ranger) with a motherboard H61/I3 2100/Ram I bought used as a combo, no heatsink.
I decided to use what I had, a Scythe Katana 92mm fan heatsink. Used one on an AMD build and like it.
Space between the cooler and the Hard Drive is tight. Wound up removing replacing cooler then ruined the two hard to reach pins.

I was frustrated and agravated. I have some Nylon thumbscrews and nuts, 6-32 thread. Used the thumb screws, a nut for a spacer, and a nut under the motherboard.
The Intel spacer is about .117-118 inch thick and a "loose" fit tightened down. The nylon nuts are .125 thick. The bolt down puts pressure on the motherboard so it appears to be a solution.
.006 I seem to recall as a thin human hair.

Now of course I hesitate to start. Fan (not heatsink) is raised a couple mm to clear hard drive plug. Otherwise ok fit.

Comments please.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good solution to me. As long as the heatsink has even contact with the CPU, and the fan has full clearance, everything should be good.

As long as there's no contact between the screws and the motherboard (use plastic / non-conductive washers) and there's enough contact between the heatsink and the CPU IHS, you're good to go.

i would go with metal screws, but use some rubber washers or nylon washers on the back of the board....

Nylon screws would probably have a tendency to stretch... which is not good.

I did that with a LGA 775 Socket board.
I ended up using a backplate from a kit that I picked up at Canada Computers as I found the board beginning to warp when I tightened the bolts.
The backplate was around 8 bucks Cdn$. Used my own nuts and bolts with it.

i would go with metal screws, but use some rubber washers or nylon washers on the back of the board....

Nylon screws would probably have a tendency to stretch... which is not good.

+1, I would question their ability to give a tight mount as well.

Normally I would agree but remember the screw is taking the place of the original nylon/plastic hold down.
I've ordered a cheap cooler $12 shipped that comes with a back plate. If the temperatures rise will be prepared to build or change.
Thermaltake CLP0556 92 MM fan.

Back