• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor Control: Are SEGA Making DREAMCAST 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would've got a Dreamcast if the rumored Satcast add-on would've came out.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a first-gen Genesis AC adaptor? ...must...play...Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday...cannot get emulated ROM..to work in any emulator... Thanks.

The Genesis was the last good system that Sega built. Why? Because they actually supported it for a reasonable period of time.

Sega has a nasty habit of dropping support for expensive hardware shortly after it's introduced. Remember the 32X? A buggy 150 dollar upgrade to the Genesis. Lasted about 15 games. Sega CD? Saturn? Then the Dreamcast... All of these (except the 32X) were decent hardware systems that Sega did not support for long enough, IMHO. They seemed to have a business model that you should buy a new console every year.

Sega was wise to get out of the hardware business.

The Genesis was the last good system that Sega built. Why? Because they actually supported it for a reasonable period of time.

Sega has a nasty habit of dropping support for expensive hardware shortly after it's introduced. Remember the 32X? A buggy 150 dollar upgrade to the Genesis. Lasted about 15 games. Sega CD? Saturn? Then the Dreamcast... All of these (except the 32X) were decent hardware systems that Sega did not support for long enough, IMHO. They seemed to have a business model that you should buy a new console every year.

Sega was wise to get out of the hardware business.

Well it's not that you don't know what you're talking about... You're just wrong. :)

Sega didn't stop supporting the Saturn. Sega thought they were on top of the entertainment industry after the success of the Genesis and they were treating the third party publishers (notably EA) like... well... Like Nintendo treats them now. And they all, in turn, turned their backs on the Saturn.

The Dreamcast was a continuation of that. EA never supported it because they were angry Sega was creating their own line of sports games and becoming a direct competitor. And... if you remember correctly... THe Dreamcast ran on Windows CE... MICROSOFT Windows CE. So as soon as Microsoft announced they were coming out with their own system, they withdrew all support. Hell... I'm sure they could've worked out a way they could press a button and turn off every Dreamcast on the planet.

This time they were left even higher and dryer than they were with the Saturn because the Dreamcast was a MUCH bigger success. But all of a sudden there was a mass exodus of publishers defecting to Sony and Microsoft who were putting more out of pocket than sega could even dream of.

That's a brief history of Sega. :beer:

What Rainman said is accurate, I'll just add that they also had a marketing department that consisted of a mentally retarded chimp and a squirrel that had hopped on a live wire then fell to the ground only to be hit by a Mack truck and yet survive.

Back