• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: Wii 2 In Production

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its only in production in the sense that they are developing it.
From the article
Concerning the Wii's successor, Iwata said, "The hardware team started work on the next thing as soon as they were done with their previous project, but what they think up doesn't necessarily become a product."

Which I'd imagine all 3 console makers start almost immediatly after they complete development of a new console.

yeah there is a article on kotaku.com yesterday i believe about one of the head hanchos at sony left because they started research on ps4 and he "couldn't take it anymore" the stress of researching and making the system happen. If i got time ill find the article and link it.

All console makers i think start with in the first two years of there new console. if not right away.

yeah there is a article on kotaku.com yesterday i believe about one of the head hanchos at sony left because they started research on ps4 and he "couldn't take it anymore" the stress of researching and making the system happen. If i got time ill find the article and link it.

All console makers i think start with in the first two years of there new console. if not right away.

They pretty much have to. Technology changes so quickly... just look at what is available even WEEKS after a console's launch. The HD-DVD drive that Microsoft wound up having externally could've easily been internal if it had launched a couple of months down the line. And that 20GB hard drive was a joke within weeks of the 360's release. (Why they went from being able to change the hard drive at will on the Xbox to having a proprietary drive on the 360 is beyond me... not like they've sold a hell of a lot of those 120GB drives...)

So don't believe Sony's hype about the Playstation 3 lasting 10 years or whatever... if it does... it will be like the Playstation 2 is lasting now: It'll BE THERE... but only sports games and the occasional johnny-come-lately title will be released for it and it'll be right alongside the Playstation 4 in the store.

But yeah, next Xbox, next Wii, and Next playstation are likely to all hit around the same time this time around.

If I had to guess, I would say that the next generation of consoles are 2 years way. Somewhere around a Holiday 2010 launch.

That would be Phil Harrison of Sony Europe who left he'd done it 3 times already and couldn't bare to do it all over again a forth time to he went to Infrogames.

I'd imagine all 3 console makers start almost immediatly after they complete development of a new console.
Microsoft doesn't have to, I bet I could price the next Xbox in about 15 minutes on Newegg :beer:

Nintendo has denied that there will be a Wii 2 anytime soon, they're still making so much on the original why bother?

Good to hear they started development. If they're on the ball then they'll go ahead next month and begin Wii2 shortage rumors so everyone has the rarity-perception for when they make the first shipment of 2 consoles.

(I like Nintendo, don't hate on me, I just find their tactics hilarious)

So what do we reckon the Wii 2 will have for specs will it get a DVD Player drive I am reckoning it'll be 2x of what the current Wii is and I wonder if they will stick with ATi. They should after the current fiasco with Nvidia brand g.cards in the 8*** series failing and 9*** not upto scratch.

I wonder if there going to change the remote with something else this time round lol

So what do we reckon the Wii 2 will have for specs will it get a DVD Player drive I am reckoning it'll be 2x of what the current Wii is and I wonder if they will stick with ATi. They should after the current fiasco with Nvidia brand g.cards in the 8*** series failing and 9*** not upto scratch.

I wonder if there going to change the remote with something else this time round lol

Rumors are they will be duct taping 2 Wiis together.

Microsoft doesn't have to, I bet I could price the next Xbox in about 15 minutes on Newegg :beer:

Sega is doing just that with thier arcade platform. Off the shelf computer components with a proprietary hardware security "module".

Maybe Microsoft sould do the same and just call it "XBOX-PC". Seriously, XBOX 720 just doesnt seem marketable. :beer:

Consoles start being developed before the current ones are even released. The PS4 was being engineered before the PS3 even came out the oven. Very preliminary of course, but people that create gaming systems always keep a pool of ideas for the next console. Whether the technology isnt ready, or the production costs would be irrealistic, they still have the consoles mostly designed in view of future price reductions on silicone for example. Prototypes of PS4 and Xbox720 were probably already made before they even launched the PS3 and 360.

-D

well if you guys are predicting a new generation 2 years down the line a wii 2 now makes sence, but not in the way you guys are talking.

probally the same hardware with dvd movie play back and more internal space, probally a harddrive or something in a smaller package, like DS lite or PS2 Slim. smaller consoles are part of the generation, been happening since 2600 and they usually get updated with better components (see technology improvments) but in the case of PS2 slim.....not so much

Well hopefully this time nintendo will find a way to cater for both hardcore and casual/strange gamers so we can all live in harmony xD. However for now everytime I see someone picking up ninja bread men in GAME I will shuffle away.

Remember when PS2 was coming out and Sony had that commercial for Playstation 9 which was pretty much virtual reality interfaced into your adrenal glands? Awesome commercial.

Wiiiii [four 'i's] interface: Sensor module mounted to your eyebrows and tongue to move about!

Last edited:

Nintendo has denied that there will be a Wii 2 anytime soon, they're still making so much on the original why bother?

I didn't get that until I saw the second post with yours quoted talking about Sega's new console/arcade or whatever.

Back to the topic of your comment. LMFAO. That is all.

I find it hard to believe (though I don't really doubt it) that Nintendo is still making a ton of money off of Wiis. I just haven't heard a thing about them since around 6 months after launch when there were still BS shortages. No one I know talks about it, no one I know really plays it, it just lays gathering dust (well then again, so does pretty much everything else in my house besides my computer and bed.. my guitar gathers dust even if I play every day :D).

Early development of a next gen probably mostly consists of pinging potential hardware component suppliers for data on their future expected technologies. Lots of data helps when eventually the time for decision making comes. Actually specifying a console down to tiny details is likely fruitless exercise when done too early.

In the case of most consoles, there's a lot of pressure to maintain long life cycles. Consoles are usually sold at a loss initially, so time is needed to recoup investment and then bring in profit. Consoles are usually expensive now, so consumers want to have a long life to get good value out of a large initial investment on their part. Long life cycles also lead to larger install bases, which helps rope in developers for more game production.

However, if a console can be sold for an initial profit rather than loss, sold cheaply, and be cross-compatible with previous generations, then much of that pressure to extend life cycles evaporates. There's no hardware investment to recoup (other than development of the console). Consumers are less concerned about investing in a new console when it's cheap to start with. Developers can largely consider install base to reach across hardware generations.

At the moment, Nintendo is meeting all that criteria...sell for profit, sell relatively cheaply, and maintain compatibility. It's probably in their favor to fairly rapidly produce new hardware if they can keep it going. Lets say they produced 2 console generations for every 1 that Sony produced. The generation that coincided with Sony's would obviously be inferior in performance and features generally speaking, but would be cheaper and easier to swallow (quickly adopt.) The in between generation could easily catch up with Sony's current, and still be cheap. All the while, money keeps rolling in.

In PC terms, it's a lot like buying a mid-grade video card every couple years and getting good value instead of buying a top-end budget buster and trying to make it last a long time.

Back