• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running ethernet in the house

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most interior wall don't have insulation though, only exterior walls do. In some cases you'll find insulation inside interior wall, but it's a rarity.

Maybe so, I wire buildings frequently for work. Most if not all of the businesses have had insulation in the walls, mostly medical businesses. I guess it makes since houses wouldn't have as much as businesses, I have only done light work in houses.

Anyhow, it's still a ***** and a half if there is insulation.

I've thought of doing this, but would probably only do it for a new house being built since the easier access would get it done in less time. My wireless is more than adequate with 2 routers, wireless standards continue to get better and it adds no value to the house. And I am a picky guy that prefers ethernet when I can get it, but not enough to spend the money and especially time on outfitting a house with it.

I ran 3 drops with cat5 in my house some years ago with the help of my then 12 year old son. Took about 3 hours including drilling the headers, cost about $70 IIRC. Not really that big of a deal.

I ran 3 drops with cat5 in my house some years ago with the help of my then 12 year old son. Took about 3 hours including drilling the headers, cost about $70 IIRC. Not really that big of a deal.
Its not easy, but it sure as heck isn't rocket science or expensive. :thup:

Using a Fish tape isn't that hard. Drill the hole close to the side where you plan to put the box (up as close as you can to the dry wall) if you have insulation in the cavity and keep the fish tape close to the dry wall you can avoid the insulation. Once you fish the tape down and have a hole drilled in the wall or hole cut in for a handy box, take a fairly stiff wire like a coat hanger and put a hook on the end of it and fish around in the space until you hook the fish tape and pull it to the opening, works easy even with insulating in the wall.

Have done it like this for 25 years pulling stat wires where we only use about a 1/2" hole and no handy box. I would also recommend if you can try to avoid a cavity that has electrical wiring in it, you want to keep the ethernet wire away from it if you can plus you wont have to try to fish around Romex. Using the sticks can be easier if you have the room overhead and aren't trying to bend them to much but if you have to put a fair amount of bend on them it's just easier to use a tape IMO.

I'd say go crawl space, after all your towers, tv's and consoles aren't on the roof there closure to the floor (plus you can hide the wires behind furniture).

actually its a wash, my computers tvs and console are about halfway up the wall so going from below or from above will yelid the same results but I am probably going to use existing holes, boxes ect when I get it done so it looks like normal.

no dangles

Niku-Sama, will you post some pictures or a video on what it looks like when your all done setting this up? i always wanted to setup something like this and would like to know what it looks like in the end.

yea but it'll probably take some time as i'll be running phone and cable lines inside aswell instead of ALL the way around the outside of my house

Back